From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] drobbins can be nominated as a trustee
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 19:12:49
1 I've seriously considered it (last night) and decided to decline. The
2 reasons why start to get somewhat off-topic for this list so I've put
3 them in my usual blog post.
4
5 What is relevant to post here is that I thank Grant et al for
6 clarifying whether I was a valid nominee, and I did seriously consider
7 the offer, but ultimately decided that to what I think is necessary
8 would require fundamental changes to the way the Gentoo project is
9 structured which would have been very disruptive and difficult to make
10 even as a trustee, and it's not clear that I would have the ability to
11 make these changes as a trustee even if I were elected due to the
12 current structure of the project that I would have been required to
13 work within.
14
15 I also don't really feel comfortable with the concept of developers
16 voting to make decisions like this for the project. It doesn't seem to
17 yield good results or be a positive use of time, and I don't really
18 think the underlying concept is sound. So by accepting the nomination
19 I would be participating and thus supporting a system that I
20 fundamentally don't agree with, and I can't see that as being a good
21 thing. At the very least, it doesn't sit well with me.
22
23 On a more positive note, I support and encourage those who are working
24 to try to make the Gentoo project better - specifically, more
25 accountable to and transparent with users, and who are trying to
26 tackle some of the larger organizational challenges that the
27 Foundation and project as a whole is facing.
28
29 -Daniel
30