From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 20:23:33
On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 21:30 +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> William L. Thomson Jr. wrote: > > On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 10:36 -0700, Chrissy Fullam wrote: > >> How would Gentoo benefit from having non-developers (individuals as you put > >> it) and businesses (you don't mention sponsors so I presume any business, > >> say Intel) be allowed to become part of the foundation and have a vote? > > > > By allowing the greater community to feel they are participating and > > have a role in Gentoo. Not limiting the Gentoo community to just > > developers. > > Why not? > > > Unless you or others feel we should ignore the community. > > Which community?
Just to be more specific and clear wrt to community. I as a developer, not a Trustee. I get all kinds of help from the Gentoo community. Patches, bug fixes, pointing out mistakes/errors, providing improvements. It's invaluable, and at times more help than I get from fellow Gentoo developers. Which I have a couple open bugs, I can't get any devs to help me with. The recent ones I needed help on that are closed, the community/users/contributors came through on. For some reason it seems like what happens with adults forgetting they were kids. Developers seem to forget we were once users. We might one day return to being users. So should those that do not wield developer status not matter? Some of our longest contributing members to Gentoo Java, aren't devs, nor will they ever be. They don't want to be. Some even have their own overlays. So guess they should not have any say or input. There should not be this elitism with a divide between developers, users, contributors, sponsors, etc. We are all together the Gentoo community. Which the foundation as I understand it, was intended from it's inception to represent. But the foundation has never been operated or run as intended. Or really at all beyond 2005 it appears. Basic duties weren't getting done, much less anything beyond that. -- William L. Thomson Jr. amd64/Java/Trustees Gentoo Foundation