From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Developer Crypto Hardware (AGM)
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 13:52:53
1 On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:48 AM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 08/22/2018 03:37 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > This is one attack vector that -- AFAIU -- hardware tokens protect
5 > > against.
6 >
7 > Right, although it only shifts the attack, so user would just wait until
8 > the token is available to perform whatever wanted anyways. In terms of
9 > after the attack, the difference is we don't really use OpenPGP as a
10 > long term identify such as it is in general. For a user, losing WoT etc
11 > can have an impact, for Gentoo we just update LDAP and access is
12 > effectively revoked without further issues, we don't need the key
13 > material to survive this attack to be used after the fact again, which
14 > is really what the hardware token helps for.
17 This is why I don't get all the worrying about subkeys and expiration
18 and such. A key is valid if it is in LDAP, and invalid otherwise.
19 Anything else is unnecessary complication at best, and a distraction.
24 Rich