From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Thoughts on upcoming trustee elections
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:14:39
(I'm cross-posting to -core since many people are not yet subscribed to
-nfp, but I'd vastly prefer that replies be on -nfp.)

Ideally, I'd like to have trustee elections finished by 16 May.  Of
course, that means we need to decide how to handle the elections.
Here's a proposal:

  1. Trustee wannabees need to e-mail -nfp with a statement to that
     effect.  Any eligible foundation member may run for a trustee
	 position.  The deadline for announcing candidacy is one week prior
	 to the beginning of voting.
  2. A ballot containing the names of all candidates will be assembled
     which essentially just has a check box for each name.
  3. Voting will last for one week.
  4. All candidates who reach or surpass a threashold of 50% yes votes
     are thereby elected as trustees.
  5. In the case that fewer than four trustees are elected outright (I believe
	 that by NM law there needs to be a president, a secretary, a
	 treasurer, and possibly something else?), then the top four vote
	 recipients are elected as trustees.

Notice that I didn't say that it was necessarily a good proposal.  I'd
like to avoid needing an initial vote on how many trustees are needed,
so this proposal deliberately leaves the number of trustees that one
wants to vote for up to the individual members.  The threshold of 50%
was picked entirely at random.  Better ideas cheerfully accepted!

Best,
g2boojum
--
Grant Goodyear