From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 20:38:17
On Wed, 28 May 2008 20:57:50 +0100
Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:

> The Gentoo Foundation has very little intellectual property and its > growing slowly if at all. Some history is probably in order. > Gentoo under Daniel Robbins was quite different that it is today. > Developers were asked to sign over copyright in their contributions > to Gentoo Technologies Inc, which was a company set up by Daniel.
To clarify this: only devs that joined during a specific time period (IIRC 2004-2005) had to sign that agreement. It was created so we had a legal copyright transfer to back the copyright headers in ebuilds/sourcecode created by Gentoo devs, and was removed because it was considered to be too wide in scope (potentially covering personal hardware used for Gentoo development). The removal was not directly related to Daniel leaving or the change from Gentoo Technologies Inc to the foundation. Marius -- Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.