From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: FW: [gentoo-nfp] Summary of NFP options
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:45:59
1 Here's my original post. Apologies for any formatting glitches -- I've been
2 trying to use Outlook and it seems to do weird stuff with formatting.
3
4 -----Original Message-----
5 From: Daniel Robbins [mailto:drobbins@g.o]
6 Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 6:40 PM
7 To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
8 Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Summary of NFP options
9
10 Hi guys,
11
12 Here is a very short summary of the NFP progress so far:
13
14 1) I have committed to get something going by the end of this month (April.)
15 This would be either an establishment of an NFP, or some kind of action plan
16 to set up multiple entities like a NFP with one or more cooperatives to
17 provide funding.
18
19 2) The main issue of concern for me is (obviously) not getting the NFP set
20 up as soon as humanly possible but making sure that whatever is really best
21 for the Gentoo community, as it is very hard to change things once things
22 have been established.
23
24 This has been very difficult because I have been trying to meet many
25 conflicting and contradictory expectations of users and developers:
26
27 A) Expectation: Gentoo will be competitive against Microsoft
28 Reality: Microsoft spends $6.8 Billion USD on R&D every year. Free
29 software
30 is lacking its own internal economic ecosystem, let alone a
31 significant R&D
32 budget. Realistically, Gentoo can do well for HPC (high-peformance
33 computing,)
34 clusters, maybe some grid computing, servers, and somewhat for
35 embedded.
36 It's not viable on the desktop, nor is any other Linux distro (this
37 is a
38 systemic problem of the Linux community, and not the fault of KDE or
39 GNOME.
40 If you don't see why this is so, just please trust me on this that
41 this will
42 be true for at least the next year.)
43
44 B) Expectation: I want to be able to work on Gentoo full-time.
45 Reality: As time goes on, Linux and free software is getting
46 supported more
47 and more by large corporations and universities. The economic model
48 driving
49 free software development is not in favor of the establishment of
50 small
51 businesses and self-sufficient local developer communities. This
52 means as the current economic model plays out, it is more and more likely
53 that people working
54 full-time on free software will be employed by big companies and
55 higher education.
56 This is not a model that gives developers the kind of independence
57 that they may be
58 used to from working in their spare time from home.
59
60 "Well why can't we just take money from companies that give it to
61 us?"
62
63 Good question. These big companies will want some return on their
64 dollar, so they
65 will expect you to do what *they* want and not what you want. Also
66 see item E) which
67 explains why this fact prevents us from taking 501(c)(3) status
68 without risking
69 revocation of that status by the IRS.
70
71 C) Expectation: Gentoo should be representative of user needs.
72 Reality: Having an open participatory model makes it easier for
73 external entities
74 (such as the dreaded Microsoft) to co-opt (ie take over) the entity.
75
76 D) Expectation: Gentoo should be set up to protect against co-option.
77 Reality: This requires a closed and non-participatory model in order
78 to implement,
79 which is contrary to the nature of having an fair and accountable
80 open
81 participatory model. This kind of system will tend to run much more
82 like a
83 dictatorship, and elections will not be held as elections always
84 allow for
85 co-options to take place.
86
87 And how does one get the benefits of C *and* D at the same time? It requires
88 *tons* of planning and complex regulations. In other words, in an attempt to
89 get both C and D at the same time, we will end up with a very complex
90 bureaucratic system that takes a very long time to design.
91
92 E) Expectation: We should have 501(c)(3) status
93 Reality: I have learned that 501(c)(3) status is for charities. It
94 is very popular
95 to apply for this status in the US, as it allows donations to Gentoo
96 to be tax
97 deductible. However, it is not the appropriate classification for
98 Gentoo. If anyone
99 gives money to Gentoo and derives some material benefit from it (ie
100 we do work
101 that benefits their company or themselves in some way,) the IRS is
102 able
103 to revoke our tax-exempt status and the 501(c)(3) entity is then
104 immediately
105 responsible to pay all back taxes that would have been collected.
106 This would
107 generally cause the not-for-profit to have to cease operations. I
108 have learned
109 that we should be classified as a not-for-profit trade association
110 (501(c)(4))
111 or NFP support organization. Otherwise the NFP will be a very
112 susceptible to
113 being shut down by the IRS. The rule here is that just because
114 others have applied
115 for 501(c)(3) status doesn't mean that they have made the right
116 decision and we
117 should follow their (erroneous) lead. It has taken me maybe 6 months
118 to be convinced
119 by my lawyer and others that 501(c)(3) status is *not* the right
120 classification
121 in the US code for our future organization, and this has also
122 significantly
123 impeded NFP progress. Again, it is the struggle of trying to find
124 some possible
125 way to meet all developer expectations.
126
127 3) Several major universities are in negotiation about setting up some kind
128 of entity to fund Gentoo development, and I am participating in some of
129 these discussions.
130
131 Based on this, my current plan was to set up a couple of not-for-profit
132 cooperatives, one for universities and another for gentoo users, that allows
133 them to pool their resources to help fund Gentoo development.
134
135 Several developers like the idea of the coop but wanted Gentoo to have its
136 own NFP entity separate from the cooperatives. I am perfectly willing to do
137 this -- just set up the NFP entity alone, and then set up the cooperatives
138 or leave the NFP to figure out how to fund itself if you want.
139
140 It certainly makes my job easier, and my desire was for the coop to be a
141 "good thing" for gentoo developers and I was trying to ensure its success by
142 setting up funding for the entity ahead of time. If you don't want it, I
143 won't do it.
144
145 Just please understand that NFP status in itself doesn't address any larger
146 long-term sustainability or software quality or "how do I work on gentoo
147 full-time" concerns. Thus, NFP status in itself does not necessarily help
148 Gentoo become a long-term success on the desktop or allow Gentoo to be
149 competitive long-term with Microsoft. Setting up a NFP does not help you
150 resolve the problem of how you will be able to work on Gentoo full-time and
151 quit your miserable day job. This is because just setting up an NFP doesn't
152 create any ties of accountability between the software users and developers,
153 nor does it necessarily create a healthy or sustainable software
154 economy/ecosystem that allows our developers and projects to be funded.
155
156 It doesn't ensure that the board of directors is accountable to your needs.
157 It doesn't ensure that the NFP will not be co-opted, and it does not ensure
158 that some company will not be able to make lots of money from your work on
159 Gentoo without compensating you (your work could always be rewritten under a
160 non-GPL license, or included as-is in some piece of commercial software that
161 someone makes millions from due to having lots of marketing resources that
162 you don't.)
163
164 You will need to choose between an "open, participatory" (and co-optable)
165 and a "closed, non-co-optable" (and non-representative/unfair) governing
166 model. So let me know which you prefer and I'll get it set up. The other
167 alternative is to try to find some kind of compromise, where the government
168 for the not-for-profit isn't too fair or open, but is more bureaucratic and
169 harder to co-opt. Let me know which one appeals to you.
170
171 Sincerely,
172
173 Daniel