From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 17:43:48
1 On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 2:55 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
3 <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 23:34 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5
6 <--snip-->
7
8 Gentlemen,
9
10 I will not address much of the previous conversation here, there is
11 simply not enough time in the day. However, I will set the record
12 straight on a few of what I view as the more important points.
13
14 1. The assertion that we have not filed with the State of New Mexico
15 is false. We are in good standing (until 11/15/2011) as evidenced by a
16 cursory search on the NM Secretary of State website. I link here for
17 completion and to the announcement we published to the front page of
18 www.gentoo.org:
19 http://www.gentoo.org/news/20080519-foundation-standing.xml
20 http://www.nmprc.state.nm.us/cgi-bin/prcdtl.cgi (You will have to type
21 in Gentoo Foundation yourself and click "Search".)
22
23 2. We have no official status with the IRS, thus there is no
24 tax-exempt status at this time. I explained this earlier, perhaps
25 insufficiently. Further, the Foundation has not generated sufficient
26 revenue for to really generate any serious consequences. Now, I
27 recognize this must be remedied. I have been working on this for many
28 months now. You might think it is an easy process, but you would be
29 mistaken. The Gentoo Foundation cannot lose status it does not have.
30 This particular situation is under my direct care, as I see this as
31 the most important thing I can do for Gentoo at the moment. I stand
32 ready and willing to defend the progress that has been made and take
33 full responsibility for the current status. Due to the circumstances
34 (well past the 27 month deadline (which would have been in late 2006
35 using the May 2004 date of incorporation)) it is a rather delicate
36 matter that must be handled with great care.
37
38 3. I have my name on all the Foundation legal documents, therefore I
39 am a responsible party in this. Please make no mistake, I fully
40 understand what this means and am happy to do this for Gentoo.
41 Further, I have used my business relationships with attorneys and CPAs
42 that I have under retainer, thus there is no reason for me to request
43 reimbursement from the Foundation for work I have had done on its
44 behalf as I already pay these people and its simply a matter of the
45 fact that I am allocated a certain number of hours per month. I am not
46 interested in attempting to apportion small amounts for this or that.
47 It is a waste of my time and I am already paying these professionals
48 for their service to my businesses and family.
49
50 4. William, your assertion that we could just fold up the current
51 organization and start up a new one under a new charter is completely
52 wrong, illegal, very dangerous, displays certain arrogance. The reason
53 this is not possible is directly due to the fact that there is money
54 involved. After consultation with one of my attorneys regarding this
55 matter (it was suggested by a former colleague of mine 2 years ago) I
56 was told that given the specific financial situation of the Gentoo
57 Foundation, this could be considered money laundering. This would be
58 penalized with potential jail time. I am not interested in that.
59
60 5. William, you said "Look if things were published as they should be,
61 then I would believe
62 otherwise. If these things exist, why have they not been published?
63 Convince me with proof, make me a believer. Because anytime I look, I
64 am not seeing anything."
65
66 You have clearly not looked or done any research, nor have you
67 attended any monthly meetings or participated in any meaningful way
68 with the Foundation since you quit or were suspended (whichever came
69 first is of little consequence). These things are detailed in every
70 monthly Trustees meeting. Read the logs and look at the announcements.
71 You have made many baseless accusations regarding the current board
72 that are completely unacceptable. Further your antagonistic tone and
73 general demeanor is reprehensible. This is something that, if you had
74 reasonable questions, could have been dealt with in a pleasant way,
75 directly with the Trustees. However, you blast away on a public
76 mailing list requiring time and effort form the Trustees and even the
77 election candidates which could be better spent. In my personal view,
78 and given many of the comments and statements you have made recently
79 and in the more remote past, it is no wonder to me that you were
80 stopped from doing whatever it was that you had in mind, unilaterally,
81 to do. You are dangerous to the Gentoo community in my view.
82
83 6. I have effectively taken over the officer role of Treasurer (pro
84 tem) at this time, in addition to my existing officer role as
85 Secretary, and the role of board member. This is a ton of work, which
86 is why I have recommended to the board that we fund greater support
87 for the on-going work of tax-status, etc.
88
89 7. My statements are accurate and fully reflect the current reality of
90 the Foundation. Any assertion that I am misinformed regarding the
91 Foundation is pure nonsense, I have attended every meeting, except one
92 or two, since I was made an officer over three years ago. I also
93 personally handle our attorney-client relationships. I am totally
94 comfortable in saying that I speak with authority on these issues.
95 William, you would know this if you had any level of participation in
96 the Foundation, which you clearly do not. Further, you would recognize
97 these things if you had done any research/homework before spewing vile
98 accusations on this list and in other places undoubtedly.
99
100 8. I am well appraised of the requirements and stipulations of both
101 state and federal non-profit organizations. I consult with experts
102 specialized in this field on a regular basis. I do not need someone to
103 paste links to irs.gov into emails and then insult my intelligence.
104 This behavior makes too many assumptions and is just plain ridiculous.
105
106 9. I am not posting official, signed documents to the public. These
107 documents have my signature on them, and I have been advised by my
108 attorney that this is not necessary and that it is potentially
109 dangerous to me personally.
110
111 10. Just a personal observation: You link to the distrowatch article
112 on Gentoo, I find this hilarious. That reflects not on the work of the
113 Gentoo Foundation, but does reflect the personal opinion of an
114 individual. There have been many attempts to reason with the
115 individual that runs distrowatch on the part of several developers,
116 users, and board members. All were met with no success, however hard
117 we tried.
118
119 11. Regarding William's comments on "stirring the pot": This is a
120 colloquialism meant to convey the concept that someone is "causing
121 trouble" in an unwarranted manner. The cooking reference is funny. Its
122 true that the gentoo-nfp list has been quiet for a long time. I
123 consider this a good thing as the people that want to participate in
124 the Foundation visit us during meetings or email us their
125 questions/observations directly. I tend to prefer the private and
126 personal attention we are able to give in this respect, especially
127 when dealing with sensitive items. A private conversation is what I
128 would have recommended for the issues you have, William, but you seem
129 to want to engage in what I would term "publicity stunts" that
130 highlight your perspective and give you more attention. This is
131 terribly arrogant and lacks any respect for other people or the
132 contributions people are making. There is no dignity in what you are
133 doing, seriously where is your sense of honor.
134
135 12. Mike, thank you for jumping in here and adding some rationality to
136 the conversation. What you say is correct, as you well know, regarding
137 the bylaws as well as the perpetual corporate charter. William's
138 interpretation of what he thinks of as "the law" is suspect to me. I
139 will consult with an attorney to learn the real facts and report back
140 as necessary. The main concept here is that while no one is enforcing
141 the rules we make for ourselves, there are certain elements of the
142 legal responsibility of a corporation, regardless of tax status, that
143 must be observed. To the best of my knowledge, we are in compliance
144 with these various legal obligations.
145
146 13. Mike, you said "i think all it really comes down to is that people
147 simply arent [sic] interested." I am certainly interested, and have
148 been doing a lot of work in support of the Foundation. This is true of
149 the other board members as well. I do not have a publicist so I do
150 not go on public record outside of the board meeting very ofter
151 regarding what is going on and what I am doing. This is generally
152 reported on in detail at the monthly board meetings. I actually do
153 find this sort of work, which I would term "organizational
154 development" a lot of fun. Although it required huge amounts of time
155 (over long periods of time) and effort and communication with many
156 different groups of people it is highly rewarding. Regardless of the
157 outcome of the current election, it is my pleasure to continue to
158 serve the board in any reasonable capacity necessary. In terms of
159 addressing participation in Foundation matters by the more broad
160 developer community, I think that will come with time as the
161 Foundation is able to do more for the community it was created to
162 serve.
163
164 14. Richard: I really like what you have to say in general. I also can
165 respect that you have actual experience working with other non-profit
166 groups. This can be a substantial asset, but it can also be blinding.
167 I certainly agree with your narrative example of what can happen to a
168 volunteer-driven organization when the concept of funding people comes
169 into the picture. What the board is considering now is not like what
170 you imagine in your email, however. We are entertaining funding an
171 expert to assist us, working directly with me, in handling some of the
172 finer details of the 1023 application process. I simply feel that we
173 need more support than what we have received from the SFLC (who has
174 been great, but I think they are too busy right now) to continue the
175 process.
176
177 15. William, your distinct efforts to antagonize the current board
178 simply fall flat with me. All you do is waste my time because I feel
179 the distinct responsibility to defend the organization I am a part of
180 from your clear disinformation and misrepresentation of fact. That
181 said, ad hominem attacks on me, as a "new trustee" or whatever you
182 said, are of little concern and further indicate your obvious
183 intentions with these various diatribes. Please, in the case that you
184 want a well reasoned and thoughtful dialog with representatives of the
185 Foundation, please maintain a respectful, dispassionate, and
186 non-agressive demeanor and tone, and we are all more than happy to
187 entertain any significant contribution to the conversation or work
188 that you may have!
189
190 16. Regarding transparency, we, the board, all know that transparency
191 is a requirement. We are doing the best we can with the limited time
192 we all can spare, for we are volunteers too. Its true that we are
193 missing some of 2011's financial statements. I have not had the time
194 to do them since our previous Treasurer has resigned. Sorry. I believe
195 this can be set aright soon, in any event.
198 I want to state plainly that I know that I have not done every single
199 thing I could have possibly done for the Foundation. However, I know
200 that I, and my colleagues on the board, are doing the best that we can
201 given the situation that we inherited. I am fully confident that we
202 will see a brighter day for the Gentoo Foundation, Inc. in the near
203 future. That is what I am working for, that is one of the things that
204 makes this work worthwhile. If it be the will of the Foundation board
205 and membership, that I be allowed the distinct honor of serving my
206 colleagues in this capacity, I will see this process to its inevitable
207 and successful conclusion without faltering or falling prey to
208 demotivational forces in the world.
209
210 Kind Regards,
211 Matthew