From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: FW: [Fwd: [gentoo-nfp] Summary of NFP options]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:29:21
> I think the coop idea is a good thing and I think it may be something that > Gentoo should take advantage of. However, I think Gentoo should be > completely decoupled so that both organizations are able to decide freely > for themselves what is best for each group. > > The coop is a brand new idea. Nobody has really done anything like it > before, so it's likely to take a great deal of thought and effort to get set > up correctly. I'd hate to see the Gentoo NFP efforts get delayed as a > result. > > When the coop is finally set up and ready to go, each organization can look > at the other, ensure they still share the same values and goals and then > decide how best to partner at that point.
I agree with Kurt here. The coop idea seems intriguing, but without a lot more research and planning, I really can't decide whether I'm totally for that yet. I'm also with Kurt that this coop idea shouldn't slow down the NFP status that Gentoo needs. I also agree that this entity should be separate from Gentoo so they can have their own set of goals that won't clash with each other constantly.
>>You will need to choose between an "open, participatory" (and >>co-optable) and a "closed, non-co-optable" (and >>non-representative/unfair) governing model. So let me know which you >>prefer and I'll get it set up. The other alternative is to try to find >>some kind of compromise, where the government for the not-for-profit >>isn't too fair or open, but is more bureaucratic and harder to co-opt. Let >>me know which one appeals to you. > > My personal $.02: > > I'd like to see a closed, non-co-optable model. Both models have their > weaknesses, but I think the open one is more susceptible to groupthink, not > to mention coersion. I think a closed model, combined with an active, vocal > community (which Gentoo certainly has) allows for a solid feedback loop > without running the risks of coersion. > > --kurt
I personally feel that the current model has been doing an adequate job of leadership. I know its got its problems, but any setup has its own set of problems. I'm with Kurt also that the coop table model could lead to coercion. I like it now is, you work to earn your rank in Gentoo. I really don't like the idea of buying your 'rank' to have a say in things. That just puts my mentality as "Why should I be putting anything into this if its not going to help me in the long run anyways?". Theres a level of trust and loyalty that we have in our community that I love. I think most devs just want to do their work and enjoy it while we do it. -- Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o> Gentoo Infrastructure --- Public GPG key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc> Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742 ramereth/irc.freenode.net