From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [RFC] Bylaws change: Lower the member quorum to 1/10
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 05:32:45
1 W dniu nie, 03.06.2018 o godzinie 23∶56 +0100, użytkownik Roy Bamford
2 napisał:
3 > On 2018.06.02 18:11, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > > > > > > > On Sat, 02 Jun 2018, Roy Bamford wrote:
5 > > > On 2018.06.02 15:40, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
6 > > > > My remaining point is purely about lowering the quorum from 1/3 to
7 > > > > 1/10. The rationale is simply that *none* of the AGMs ever had a
8 > > > > quorum.
9 > > > Would this proposed change actually fix that?
10 > > > I've not checked meeting logs. Members should be voiced.
11 > >
12 > > I went back as far as 2010. The only meeting where a precise quorum
13 > > of members was actually determined was in 2016, where 19 out of 95
14 > > entitled to vote were present. So yes, at least for that meeting it
15 > > would have fixed it.
16 > >
17 > > Ulrich
20 > Ulrich,
21 >
22 > How do you know they were present?
23 > Idling in an IRC channel is not the same as being in a room where a
24 > meeting is being conducted. e.g. I'm in #gentoo-trustees 24/7 but I'm not
25 > present 24/7.
26 >
27 > I would object strongly to a nick count being used to determine a quorum.
28 > Members would need to respond to a ping in the channel.
29 >
30 > Not having a quorum prevents a vote of members taking place. However,
31 > there has never been a need for a vote of members at any meeting of
32 > members.
33 >
34 > Due to the difficulties of counting both votes and members present, I
35 > don't think an IRC 'show of hands' can ever be relied on.
36 >
37 > I'm not against the proposed change, I just think its changing from
38 > one value that is not useful, to a different value that is also not
39 > useful.
42 This is chicken-and-egg problem. How do you know there was never a need
43 of vote? Maybe members simply never brought it up because it was so
44 obvious that there was never a quorum, and therefore any vote would make
45 no sense.
48 Best regards,
49 Michał Górny