From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Software in Public Interest, cont...
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:10:57
1 On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 12:26 -0500, Yuri Vasilevski wrote:
2 >
3 > Back to the issue, taking into account the corrections that Ferris
4 > McCormick kindly added and the positivism I sensed in his response, I
5 > talked with Bdale Garbee regarding us, Gentoo Fundation, joining the
6 > SPI and discussed the previous e-mail I sent as well as fmccor's replay.
7
8 Thank you but at this time I would prefer as an individual and trustee
9 that you not be asking or pursuing information from the SPI. If you look
10 in archives I contacted them official months ago. Most all interactions
11 were cc'd to -nfp list. We are not proceeding with them at this time.
12
13 I am not sure if we will ever hand over the foundation to an outside
14 entity. We are doing the complete opposite over the past several months.
15 Working on getting the foundation standing on it's own. Not preparing or
16 working to hand it over to another.
17
18 > And he already talked with a couple other board members and they both
19 > agree that it'd be great to have Gentoo as an associated project.
20
21 That is no change from when I talked to them. They fund themselves via
22 5% of donations to associated projects. So they can afford to take us on
23 pretty much when ever.
24
25 > So I think that we really should approach them for our inclusion.
26
27 We did, it's not an option on the table now. Please come to a foundation
28 meeting if you want to suggest such things. Plus this is a discussion
29 already had. It's not a direction we are really considering at this
30 time.
31
32 Which is what I told the contact at the SPI I was communicating with
33 several months back. In a more official capacity. When I ended
34 communications with them, because we were not interested in proceeding.
35
36 > I was
37 > told that the process should be the following, we need to let them know
38 > that we would like to join with a specific one person contact address
39
40 And that's a hug road block to me. One contact from Gentoo to the SPI.
41 That will not work for us.
44 William L. Thomson Jr.
45 amd64/Java/Trustees
46 Gentoo Foundation