From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] List of items to be addressed by audit
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:00:21
1 On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 14:17 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 >
3 > The bylaws approved in 2008 were subject to a public discussion in the
4 > mailing list. Even though I wasn't a trustee and don't have any "inside
5 > information" about the discussion within the team, I did talk about them
6 > with other trustees. Whether William "lead" that discussion within
7 > Trustees is something only the other members can answer,
8
9 You can look in the archives to see who made every post on each section
10 of the bylaws.
11
12 > but even though
13 > he was very vocal in the public, we was not the only Trustee involved on
14 > the discussion and the approved bylaws are not what he initially pushed
15 > for.
16
17 I resigned right before there was a vote on the bylaws. There were no
18 changes between when I resigned and the vote.
19
20 > Some members of the community, me included, did participate in the
21 > discussion and expressed their views about the bylaws.
22 > A "legal" system may take into account the "desire" or "purpose" of a
23 > legislator when a particular piece of legislation was approved, but first
24 > and foremost it tries to pursue the compliance with the approved text
25 > (written text). Furthermore, when taking into account the "desire" or
26 > "purpose" of the legislator, it will look at the global discussion and the
27 > several alternatives submitted for discussion, it won't rely simply in the
28 > will or word of one of the legislators.
29
30 The discussions are in the archives for anyone to re-read.
31
32 > So you may disagree with the interpretation of the bylaws of the current
33 > trustees, you may even argue that it goes against what you were trying to
34 > do, but that doesn't mean they've necessarily diverged from the global
35 > intent at the time the bylaws were approved. Nor does it mean you
36 > (individual, former trustee) have any special authority to "judge" the
37 > compliance.
38
39 Again I know what I had written, and why. You can question that all you
40 like, but I was making lots of changes. Other trustees did participate,
41 but I was taking lead and made most efforts with regard to bylaws
42 authoring and review. Which is very clear in the archives of this
43 mailing list.
44
45 > About having 5 trustees, that's a number that members seem comfortable
46 > with and that no one up until now has contested (trustes and foundation
47 > members).
48
49 I am a foundation member, and I am contesting it. Not to mention former
50 trustee, who helped to author the current bylaws.
51
52 > About having more, I still recall us having 13 members was seen on 2007 /
53 > 2008 as one of the reasons things got where they did back then.
54
55 Do you recall how many there were when you ran the election back in
56 2008? There was maybe 2-3 active. Which I can only recall Grant Goodyear
57 and Chris Gianelloni. I have no idea where you are getting the 13 number
58 from in 2007. That simply is not accurate, do you have anything to
59 support that? When was the last election prior to 2008?
60
61 > So, even
62 > though having more members could, in theory, help, we should be careful to
63 > ensure that we don't get again to a point where no one knows what's going
64 > on or thinks another member is working on an issue, when no one is.
65
66 There was specific intention when the foundation was created when
67 setting the number of trustees. Which was not modified when the current
68 bylaws were drafted, nor approved by a vote.
69
70 > Back in 2007 / 2008 you did some noise that lead to increased attention to
71 > the Foundation and that lead the Board of Trustees to finally call for an
72 > election.
73
74 The board had no choice, time for elections was past due. I also found
75 election officials, which I guess you forgot that aspect as well. Which
76 you should well know having been on of the officials. I was the one who
77 got you involved in that.
78
79 Subject: Election Officials Update
80 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/msg_6226f44caa2fa8df19c187ad1f3d9057.xml
81
82 That was after you accepted a call for help on the matter
83 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/msg_c69304fefc282286a8210bc7e7f92505.xml
84
85 > However, you had no role whatsoever in the running of the election[1] and
86 > in making sure members could vote[2], tallying the votes and publishing
87 > the results[3].
88
89 I love how you forgot that I got you involved in that. I went around and
90 found election officials, as show in previous links. Which I had to
91 inquire if that was a conflict of interest later since I was running in
92 the election. Not sure if I still have that email.
93
94 > To clear any doubts that your comments about later elections may have
95 > cast, for those that didn't or don't follow the mailing lists, the reason
96 > we didn't have a "voting" for the 2010 election[4] was that the number of
97 > candidates was the same as the number of open seats[5].
98
99 Which should basically be the case now. Till the maximum number of
100 trustees is reached, there likely should be no elections. That would
101 have been true back in 2008. However it was best given the turmoil for
102 members to choose trustees via a vote. Rather than just accept any
103 volunteer for the role.
104
105 > I, as a foundation member, am very happy with the job done by the current
106 > trustees.
107
108 What have they done? Specifically? Is financial accounting not part of
109 the mission of the foundation? Do you accept the job they have done with
110 that? Having large sums of money unaccounted for, discrepancies in
111 accounting, and mandated filings not being done?
112
113 Really its enough patting on the back. They have not done anything
114 substantial, and that is a problem. I am not saying I dislike them or do
115 not appreciate any efforts. Just the necessary and mandated financial
116 matters have not been addressed. Which is half of the mission behind the
117 foundation, legal and financial.
118
119 > I don't consider everything is perfect, but by paying attention
120 > to the meetings logs and seeing trustees actions, I'm convinced they are
121 > very much concerned and dedicated to their roles. Could things be better?
122 > Sure, but such is life, even more on a volunteer organization.
123
124 What actions? Again they have neglected one of the most important
125 aspects of their duties and role. There is no getting around that, its
126 unacceptable. This is OTHER peoples money!
127
128 > As a subscriber to this ml I have no doubt about your opinion on the
129 > current state of affairs or the current trustees. Any doubt was cleared
130 > many emails ago.
131
132 Its not an opinion, its fact. Things are not getting done, and you
133 cannot claim that to be my opinion. No evidence or anything has been
134 produced to show that they are doing their job. Even if they made
135 miracles happen on the legal side, the ball has been dropped on the
136 financial side.
137
138 > Curiously, you were the one trying to promote a change in the bylaws so
139 > that the Foundation could pay to developers. It took much resistance from
140 > the rest of the community for you to drop that idea.
141
142 Please provide a link to such a claim and accusation, which is factually
143 incorrect. You might be referring to this post, which very few commented
144 on.
145
146 Subject: What could the Gentoo Foundation do with money?
147 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/msg_e3825ceed1a9eabb4d1438e919bdc63a.xml
148
149 I went out of my way to remove provisions in the bylaws that allowed
150 trustees to pay themselves. I did that as a trustee, when I could have
151 paid myself. I believe that was discussed internally amongst trustees. I
152 will provide some evidence, if I still have those emails.
153
154 Also many in the community are interested in having paid development or
155 things of that nature in Gentoo. Including members of the current board.
156 How that comes about is up to others.
157
158 To be 100% clear, at no time then or now was I personally ever seeking
159 to get paid. What is so wrong about trying to help others get paid for
160 their efforts? Is that not the idea behind GSoC? What is the difference
161 between using Google's money or the money donated to Gentoo? Not to
162 mention in this economy, I am sure no developer could use extra funds or
163 money from helping to further Gentoo.
164
165 Now if you understood what I was talking about then, and even now. Only
166 core positions would be paid. Things that are crucial to Gentoo, and top
167 level positions. The avg developer would not be paid. Please if your
168 going to comment on such things. Make sure you are fully aware of the
169 situation and intentions, and/or provide links or references to support
170 your statements.
173 William L. Thomson Jr.
174 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
175 http://www.obsidian-studios.com