From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] What could the Gentoo Foundation do with money?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 15:56:35
1 On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 12:32 +0200, Ioannis Aslanidis wrote:
2 >
3 > > 7. Buy new hardware to install/certify Gentoo on ( PS 4, new procs,
4 > > big iron, etc)
5 >
6 > Do we certify Gentoo (in the legal sense of the word)?
7
8 Maybe not in the legal sense. But in the sense that it's been installed,
9 tested, and know to work on yet to be release hardware or upcoming
10 platforms.
11
12 > > 11. Purchase membership for Gentoo in other foundations ( Gentoo
13 > > being a member of Gnome foundation, or etc )
14 >
15 > What would be the benefit of that? Could you develop?
16
17 Having a say in the future or direction. So others distro's per say
18 could totally skew the direction or etc. Also to show a tighter/closer
19 relationship. Cross pollination, etc.
22 > > 12. Provide hardware to devs working on certain areas, device
23 > > drivers etc ( like buying a bunch of video cards for those
24 > > supporting binary drivers, or odd/expensive hardware )
25 >
26 > This could work, but the hardware should be property of the foundation
27 > then. When someone leaves the foundation, the hardware has to be
28 > relocated.
29
30 That's a given.
31
32 > > 13. Buy licenses to commercial apps so we can package and make
33 > > ebuilds available for them.
34 >
35 > I think this is not worth it. It is them who should show up some interest.
36 >
37 > > 14. Provide FREE release media
38 >
39 > I'd be on the other side here. People can always download stuff for
40 > free, but for what I've seen in other distro's, if you want something
41 > 'official' you have to pay for it. That's a way to get income for the
42 > foundation...
43
44 In the past this has been done, but is not profitable. Since some sell
45 our media against our wishes. I had mentioned that we might have a
46 policy to allow others to sell our stuff. Requiring a percentage. That
47 would add a bounty to any cease and desist suit or etc.
48
49 However given that it's not likely something that will ever provide much
50 revenue. Due to overhead and expense. Why not flip it entirely around,
51 and just do it for free. Less shipping.
52
53 That's very grass rootsie, friendly, community focus'd, etc.
57 William L. Thomson Jr.
58 amd64/Java/Trustees
59 Gentoo Foundation