From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
Cc: 'Zack Gilburd' <klasikahl@g.o>, gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-core] To vote or not to vote
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:23:04
1 Daniel Robbins wrote:
2
3 With my busy work week, I didn't think I'd have time to join the -nfp
4 mailing list/discussion, but it seems important enough to take time for,
5 so I think I'll CC the discussion there and take part.
6
7 > 1) Set up the NFP with lots of elections to ensure fair representation
8 >
9 > Downside: NFP can be co-opted by external entities
10 >
11 > Counter-argument: Probably won't happen
12
13 Not to fan the 'black helicopter' flames or anything, but I'm seeing a
14 lot more IBM Linux commercials and Gentoo Linux is rapidly becomming an
15 enterprise level product. That means Gentoo will soon (if it isn't
16 already) be a dot on Microsoft's bottom line.
17
18 {putting down tin foil hat}
19
20 > 2) Set up the NFP with no elections but with a "permanent" board of
21 > directors
22 >
23 > Downside: This model isn't exactly "fair" or representative
24 >
25 > Counter-argument: Developers and users can always vote with their
26 > feet (ie leave the project or stop using Gentoo) and this is enough to
27 > keep the board accountable.
28
29 This already seems like a bad ultimatum to be made. Sure, open projects
30 thrive on forks - in the ideal. In reality it often works to dillute
31 efforts and developer talents. Could each herd continue to sucessfully
32 handle all bugs and still have time to create the same calibre of
33 enhancements with half their numbers?
34
35 I also don't think it's a good thing for our outward appearance, and
36 could easily be misconstrued as "If you don't like it, leave." (the
37 other side of the coin; especially visible for a dev/manager on the
38 losing end of one of the aforementioned conflicts).
39
40 > 3) Set up the NFP with some elections and some appointed positions
41 >
42 > Downside: This requires complex rules to be written to achieve this
43 > balance, creating a bureaucracy, and the process of determining what rules
44 > should be used can be quite confusing. And the result may be a
45 > dysfunctional organization mired in procedural details.
46 >
47 > Counter-argument: Maybe this isn't so bad and we can afford to wait
48 > a few extra months on the NFP to figure out all these rules.
49
50 That's sounding a lot like FidoNet and "Policy 4". Delaying progress in
51 the name of politics is, IME, a Very Bad Thing<tm>.
52
53 Integrating the Internet, and mail transfer va the same (vice dial-up
54 modems) was fought and delayed so long it had to be subversively
55 implemented by a splinter group being challenged all along the way. By
56 then, however, it was a band-aid for a broken arm. Nobody wanted to join
57 a dying network.
60 Stewart Honsberger
61 Gentoo Developer
62 http://www.snerk.org/