From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] CDs and t-shirts
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:39:26
On Apr 17, 2004, at 3:56 am, Daniel Robbins wrote:

>> If you would make extremely huge profits, we couldn't ask for >> a part if you reinvested all the money in your FP entity again. > > It's hard to make extremely huge profits selling CDs of free software > (and > soon, t-shirts.) I don't think you may realize that having a NFP > allows for > much more funding potential than a basic CD/t-shirt business. The > difference > in potential is very much in favor of the NFP.
"perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free use of the "Gentoo" trademark and "G" logo" is not the same thing as "selling a few t-shirts", however. Surely "perpetual use of the "Gentoo" trademark and "G" logo" permits Gentoo Technologies Inc the same freedoms that RedHat & Mandrake have with their own trademarks & logos..? I have no idea what the implications are of this. I'm sure no-one begrudges you the money made off t-shirts, boxed sets or even official support, however I don't see how Gentoo NFP would be protected against you charging for, say, a Gentoo premium service. Why not just have Gentoo NFP employ you in your cd-burning, t-shirt-printing capacity, and have the NFP pay you a wage..? Stroller. -- gentoo-nfp@g.o mailing list