From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question about other people's intellectual property
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:08:02
On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 14:18 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
> Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Mon Apr 11 2005, 02:01:57PM CDT] > > I have a question that I haven't been able to get a suitable answer to > > as of yet. Then again, I haven't asked the right people I am sure. > > > > What legal standing does the Foundation have in regard to Gentoo > > developers? If I wanted to, for example, work with a certain software > > company to be able to distribute their products in a slightly modified > > form, something which is explicitly forbidden in their license, but they > > were willing to license the software to the Foundation for this explicit > > purpose, would that apply to all of Gentoo? The Foundation members? > > Nobody? > > I've no idea what you're asking, I'm afraid. Could you provide a more > explicit, even if fictitious, example?
Enemy Territory, though free, has a restriction that would keep us from distributing it in "modified form", which includes the installed form. The only form that we can provide it in is the installer itself. If I wanted to get permission from Id to make, say, the old Gentoo Games Enemy Territory CD and redistribute it, they would need to grant a specific license to the Foundation to allow this, correct? Now, who/what would that license cover? The Foundation? All the developers? Our mirrors? What legal bindings does the Foundation have to say, developer Y? Can the Foundation engage in legal contracts on the behalf of Gentoo Linux? -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager Games - Developer Gentoo Linux