From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:40:22
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2008.02.13 01:44, Steve Long wrote:
5
6 [snip]
7
8 > ... I'd rather see the Foundation
9 > employing a professional administrator, hiring a lawyer and an
10 > accountant,
11 > with oversight by the Trustees. Either that or hand those
12 > responsibilities
13 > over to the SFC/SPI. I don't think the Foundation membership, which
14 > aiui is
15 > developers and ex-developers, has the skills base to do those tasks
16 > professionally, as they require. Nor do they seem to have been that
17 > motivated to carry out those tasks, unsurprisingly.
18 >
19 [snip]
20 > --
21 > gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list
26 Steve,
27
28 Very true. Before we give away any control, or hire professionals, I
29 want to look at ways of expanding Foundation membership among the user
30 base. Gentoo users have a much wider skill set and interests than the
31 developers do. If the trustees can find a way to draw on these skills
32 and interests, there may be no need for professional administration at
33 all.
34
35 At the moment, I see that this would need a register of users, a
36 qualifying period and so on, much like the rules for developers.
37 Registered users would be able to both vote for and serve as trustees.
38 There are all sorts of practical problems to resolve - e.g. one user,
39 one vote. Registration would of course be completely voluntary.
40
41 Such a system would also promote user involvement and bring the
42 perceived 'them' (the devs) and 'us' (the users) closer together.
43
44 There's lots of fat to chew there. Lobby your trustees when they have
45 been elected.
46
47 Constructive comments and pointers to other organisations who have
48 solved this problem welcome.
49
50 - --
51 Regards,