From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Reconsider the license of the "g" logo (item for Trustees meeting)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 23:45:37
1 >>>>> On Sun, 20 Nov 2016, Robin H Johnson wrote:
2
3 > TL;DR:
4 > 1. Move artwork to CC-BY v4
5 > 2. update name/logo page to say 'trademark licensing'
6
7 From reading the long version I guess that in 1. above you mean
8 CC-BY-SA (not CC-BY)?
9
10 > [...]
11
12 > So where do we go?
13 > 0. Educate users that they are taking two licenses (copyright & trademark)
14 > 1. Change copyright license on all Gentoo-owned to BY-SA (v4, further below)
15 > 2. EXPLICITLY grant trademark licenses (most of this is done in the
16 > name/logo page already):
17 > 2.1. Non-commercial works: no Foundation permission needed.
18 > 2.2. Non-transformative Commercial works with Foundation permission only.
19 > 2.3. Highly-Transformative commercial works UNCERTAIN (I'm not decided).
20 > 3. Note that the artwork remains available under prior versions of the
21 > license as well [6]
22 > 4. Note that the name/logo guidelines page is the trademark usage licensing.
23
24 I agree with all of these points.
25
26 About 2.3, I don't see why this needs to be distinguished from 2.2.
27 Who decides what is highly-transformative? (So anyone distributing
28 such works might be well-advised to ask the Foundation in any case.)
29
30 > Why CC v4?
31 > - v4 requires all modifications be noted [1]
32 > - v4 BY-SA (but not BY-NC-SA) is GPLv3 compatible [3]
33 > - v4 auto-reinstatement on violations [4]
34 > - v4 trademark explicitly-not-licensed [5]
35 > - v3+v4 "no endorsement clause" to block advertising [2]
36
37 The only reason I had suggested CC-BY-SA version 2.5 or 3.0 was
38 compatibility to the bulk of existing documentation which tends to be
39 under CC-BY-SA-3.0 (e.g. the wiki).
40
41 This is not really a problem though, because CC licenses have a
42 built-in upgrade clause allowing distribution of derived works under
43 any later version of the same license. So a work combining a v3 text
44 and a v4 logo can always be distributed under v4.
45
46 Ulrich
47
48 > [1] https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/License_Versions#Modifications_and_adaptations_must_be_indicated