From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [gentoo-nfp] Summary of NFP options]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:34:54
1 Daniel Robbins wrote:
2
3 > I agree. I think I have been trying to solve too many problems at once
4 > rather than approach this one step at a time. I am a perfectionist. It's
5 > also human nature to try to make "version 2" of something incredibly complex
6 > and sophisticated so as to solve all problems with "version 1". This
7 > tendency is called "the second system effect." And it looks like I've fallen
8 > victim to the second system effect in planning the next entity for Gentoo.
9 > Because of my desire to not let anyone down, I've become paralyzed and am
10 > letting everyone down. That's not my intention. We can address the funding
11 > issues later and get the NFP set up this month.
12
13 Yes, I've done this before as I'm a perfectionist too. I've learned through
14 the years that doing things in steps is generally best. I wish you the best of
15 luck getting this setup.
18 > I have been trying to figure out a perfect organizational model for the NFP
19 > that will meet everyone's expectations and wants. This is probably a fool's
20 > errand -- some decisions need to be made that by their nature exclude other
21 > possibilities.
22
23 I don't think you'll ever figure out a perfect organizational model. One thing
24 I've learned being in many different organizations, is that no matter how hard
25 you try, someone will not like what you chose to do. Heck, look at the
26 governments around the world.. Some work better than others simply because the
27 people like it and agree with it. While somewhere else in the world, it would
28 never work. I'd say, shoot for something the fulfills most requirements and go
29 with it and adjust as issues arise.
30
31 > The key decision to make is whether the NFP is membership-based (and open to
32 > take-over) or non-membership (and thus by its nature non-democratic.) It
33 > seems like most are OK with an NFP that
34 > Is not open to take-over and is held accountable by the fact that developers
35 > and users can vote with their feet.
36
37 As side in my previous email, I'm for the non-membership (non-coop-able) model.
38
39 > I am scheduling an appointment with my lawyer early next week. If I can get
40 > a consensus from list members about the organizational model of the NFP, I
41 > can get him started on the paperwork.
42
43 Good Luck with that!
46 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
47 Gentoo Infrastructure
48
49 ---
50 Public GPG key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
51 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
52
53 ramereth/irc.freenode.net