From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [gentoo-nfp] Summary of NFP options]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:34:54
Daniel Robbins wrote:

> I agree. I think I have been trying to solve too many problems at once > rather than approach this one step at a time. I am a perfectionist. It's > also human nature to try to make "version 2" of something incredibly complex > and sophisticated so as to solve all problems with "version 1". This > tendency is called "the second system effect." And it looks like I've fallen > victim to the second system effect in planning the next entity for Gentoo. > Because of my desire to not let anyone down, I've become paralyzed and am > letting everyone down. That's not my intention. We can address the funding > issues later and get the NFP set up this month.
Yes, I've done this before as I'm a perfectionist too. I've learned through the years that doing things in steps is generally best. I wish you the best of luck getting this setup.
> I have been trying to figure out a perfect organizational model for the NFP > that will meet everyone's expectations and wants. This is probably a fool's > errand -- some decisions need to be made that by their nature exclude other > possibilities.
I don't think you'll ever figure out a perfect organizational model. One thing I've learned being in many different organizations, is that no matter how hard you try, someone will not like what you chose to do. Heck, look at the governments around the world.. Some work better than others simply because the people like it and agree with it. While somewhere else in the world, it would never work. I'd say, shoot for something the fulfills most requirements and go with it and adjust as issues arise.
> The key decision to make is whether the NFP is membership-based (and open to > take-over) or non-membership (and thus by its nature non-democratic.) It > seems like most are OK with an NFP that > Is not open to take-over and is held accountable by the fact that developers > and users can vote with their feet.
As side in my previous email, I'm for the non-membership (non-coop-able) model.
Good Luck with that! -- Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o> Gentoo Infrastructure --- Public GPG key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc> Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742 ramereth/irc.freenode.net