From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Referendum on Gentoo Foundation Inc. accepting advertising from major Gentoo Users
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:15:46
Responding to -nfp as its not a technical discussion

On 2009.12.03 03:15, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> Neither the ballot nor the announcement contains the actual > question that is to be voted on. In the case of the announcement the > problem isn't as huge as with the ballot, so the latter should be > fixed > soon, I guess. > > Roy's message does mention the actual question (and I must say that > it's rather vague): > > "Should major Gentoo users be permitted to purchase ads on the > sidebar" >
[snip]
> > So that's two issues: > > 1) The ballot and announcement do not mention the question we are > voting on. > 2) The question is vague. > > > Regards, > jer >
Jer, Background:- The Foundation has been approached by a number of Financial Services sector companies who use Gentoo for their businesses. At least one claims 100+ installs. They do not want to donate data centre services, which is the traditional way of getting a side bar listing, instead they are offering money. We don't appear to be short of data centre donations right now and we can use money for other things that further the aims of the Gentoo Foundation Inc. Note that we already have a similar advertiser on the side bar who do donate in the traditional way. When the possibility of paid advertising was raised about May/Jun 2008 by a (now) former trustee, it met with a fairly hostile reception. Thus on this occasion, the trustees determined to put the option to break with tradition to the Foundation members. The Question:- The question is deliberately vague. Paid for advertising on the side bar represents a break with tradition - that's really what the vote is about, not any individual advertisments, nor their style, size and so on. The trustees will consider each application on its individual merits. A yes vote will give the trustees a mandate to do just that. A no vote will maintain the status quo. At present, the trustees are only considering accepting advertising from large Gentoo users, where the value of "large" will be determined by the trustees from time to time. -- Regards, Roy Bamford (Neddyseagoon) an member of gentoo-ops forum-mods trustees