From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] Summary of NFP options
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:47:44
1 > I like the idea too. It makes a lot of sense, but the coop
2 > should be a separate entity. It should have it's own goals
3 > and policies. While the coop ("oss support foundation") would
4 > be an important source of income for the NFP "gentoo
5 > foundation" should be created as soon as possible as grinding
6 > out the goals and policies of the coop will probably still
7 > take quite a while.
8
9 Kurt clearly explained why the coop needs to be a separate entity from the
10 main NFP. The coop is a good thing in itself. But combined with the NFP, the
11 coop will first make setting up the NFP take way too long. Second, it will
12 completely change the way decisions are made on the project, which people
13 don't want. It will undermine developer authority, which developers
14 obviously don't want. I was mistakenly trying to accomplish too many things
15 under one roof by suggesting that we have a coop be the main entity for
16 Gentoo.
17
18 So the coop and the NFP need to be a separate entity. The NFP will be set up
19 first, then we will worry about funding issues that can be addressed by
20 setting up a coop.
21
22 Just want to make sure that everyone knows my corrected opinion on this.
23
24 Sincerely,
25
26 Daniel