From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 3.1 Place of Meetings
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:58:43
Two other points, lawyer jargon, and liability.

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 13:37 -0600, RB wrote:
> > you may want to 'lawyer' that language out
I prefer to keep things in layman's terms as much as possible. Lawyer language means more ambiguity, more room for interpretation. Additional length, etc. Which makes things so the common person has a hard time understanding what they are reading. Then even worse, you might need lawyer to review it, since it's in their language. Which takes them longer, and they likely add more to it, than removing things. Nasty spiral. Anything to do with lawyers, including their language and jargon I like to keep to a minimum. Or legal system is totally out of control as it is. Plus it's not a very effective system, wrt to bang vs buck. Justice on occasion :)
> You don't want to be legally liable for someone else's failure to > maintain free infrastructure.
What liability? That is a theoretical one only. Who would sue us over that? What would they get from it? What would it cost them? Worse case maybe a riot among membership base. But that's pretty extreme. :) No potential fines or obligations wrt to NM or the Fed. If a company doesn't follow it's own by laws. There is little to no enforcement of that. Keep in mind likely the ones on file now. Might not have been or are being followed now. And who is after us over it? No fines, no law suits. Most don't even care :) -- William L. Thomson Jr. amd64/Java/Trustees Gentoo Foundation