From: Square Bottle <squarebottle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Daniel Robbins Controversy Unfairly Reported in GMN -- Real Thread!
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:40:22
1 First off, since so many email clients seem to have prioritized
2 headers over subject lines with the effect of making it seem to people
3 who use those clients that a thread was hijacked, I'm "moving the
4 discussion" over into a fresh, new email completely unattached to the
5 old thread. I realize it's a bit late, but being that I'm using gmail,
6 I only just realized what happened thanks to the posts by Mr. Alberts
7 and Mr. Freeman that illuminated why some of you though that hijacking
8 and top-posting had occurred. If using gmail or some other client for
9 which there was no issue, then don't worry about it. If you are using
10 one of the affected clients, then sorry about that, and hopefully
11 having a new thread will partially make amends!
12
13 Anyway, back to the issue at hand. I think I've pretty much said my
14 thoughts (and apparently too aggressively, so hopefully people can get
15 over that and consider what I'm trying to say), but I'd like to
16 respond to a few of the rebuttals. Mr. Alberts seemed to bring up all
17 the assertions other people made in response to my original posting,
18 so I'll respond to him (note that since I'm making a brand new email,
19 I'm hand-formatting the quotation, so I'm sorry if this messes up
20 anyone's client in ways that I can't foresee).
21
22 John Alberts wrote:
23 > There's really a few problems with your argument.
24 > 1. The "article" in question was not an article at all. It was simply a
25 > collection of popular blog posts from the p.g.o. feed.
26 snip...
27
28 If that's what it was, then it shouldn't have been. I feel that the
29 point of the GMN is to inform the community about things that are
30 going on very much like a news outlet, and thus, the pieces should aim
31 to summarize and inform in an unbiased way. If editorials or any other
32 kind of piece that has a clearly dominant opinion (as is the case
33 here) are going to go in, then that's wonderful, but as with other
34 news publications, they should be be in their own section. See,
35 writers really need to be careful when make their pieces, or else folk
36 like me get their feathers all ruffled, heh. Perhaps I'm just a bit
37 more sensitive to this stuff having come from a media family and been
38 editor and writer for my school newspapers growing up or perhaps it's
39 just me, but I think it's a good thing to be concerned about.
40
41 So in other words, I for one would have preferred a piece that aimed
42 to describe the issue and quote people from both sides, since clearly
43 both sides have plenty of proponents. In this particular case, I also
44 think it would have been illuminating to reveal that in spite of the
45 fact that the general community currently seems to be heavily favoring
46 Daniel Robbins' proposal, the developers lean heavily against it. The
47 reason why I think this would have been good to include is because I
48 know that a lot of people out there are disconnected from the
49 developers, so since they just see the general community going in one
50 direction, must be frustrated and confused as to why it isn't simply
51 going forward. Posting links to the posts that oppose it will
52 similarly tell all the people that there are actually several
53 developers out there who disagree, so that's good, but it risks coming
54 off as one-sided and doesn't actually establish the fact that most
55 developers are opposed to it, and doesn't acknowledge that most of the
56 community is for it.
57
58 > 2. This discussion really belongs in an email to gmn-feedback, not on
59 > the gentoo-nfp list. Although, you are talking about the foundation,
60 > it's really a complaint about how you feel the GMN presented the
61 > information. So, it's best sent to gmn-feedback.
62 snip...
63
64 Hmm. Yeah, you're right in hindsight. But at least it lead to
65 something worth discussing, since apparently different people have
66 different ideas for what the objectives of GMN should be, with this
67 particular piece about the foundation issue being an excellent
68 example.
69
70 > 3. If you feel so strongly, you should really write a proper article
71 > yourself and submit it to gmn-feedback for inclusion in the next
72 > newsletter. The GMN really needs more people to participate and submit
73 > articles. I'm sure a properly written article on this topic would be
74 > well accepted.
75
76 Once upon a time, I considered helping Gentoo out by volunteering for
77 GWN and as a graphic designer, but... Well, I got scared, to be frank,
78 as I'd just left a different project and wasn't really ready to make
79 any new commitments. I think that in a month it will be too late
80 include an article about this since the issue will probably not be
81 relevant anymore, but maybe I'll write a few pieces for GMN about
82 other things in the future if they're interested. :)
83 --
84 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list