From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 03:58:37
1 On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 23:44 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:41 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 23:34 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > >> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:02 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
5 > >> > Its good to have a empty seat filled. But if the person filling it can't
6 > >> > get the tasks at hand done. There is not much difference to the seat
7 > >> > being empty. :)
8 > >>
9 > >> there is when the legal requirements are that we have X trustees
10 > >
11 > > There is no such law or any legal requirement. A company can be a single
12 > > person which includes a Corporation in any form, C, S, etc ;)
13 >
14 > the law says the bylaws must be followed. our bylaws say we need X
15 > people. ergo we are legally required to seat X people.
16
17 What law says that? Bylaws are for internal operations. We made the
18 bylaws, and there is no entity that will ever enforce breaching bylaws.
19
20 Now the bylaws clearly state the duties of the treasurer and there has
21 never been an annual report presented to the members. Even if bylaws say
22 one thing and an entity does another. There is really no means to
23 enforce such.
24
25 Seems there might be some non-profit or other entities that enforce such
26 here in the United States, but its not done by a government entity. If
27 anything maybe on a state by state basis.
28 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bylaw_enforcement_officer
29
30 Keep in mind until 2008 Gentoo did not have official by laws. I helped
31 to draft the by laws that were adopted back in 2008. We did a very
32 transparent review, and went section by section on this list.
35 William L. Thomson Jr.
36 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
37 http://www.obsidian-studios.com