From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 03:58:37
On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 23:44 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:41 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote: > > On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 23:34 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote: > >> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:02 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote: > >> > Its good to have a empty seat filled. But if the person filling it can't > >> > get the tasks at hand done. There is not much difference to the seat > >> > being empty. :) > >> > >> there is when the legal requirements are that we have X trustees > > > > There is no such law or any legal requirement. A company can be a single > > person which includes a Corporation in any form, C, S, etc ;) > > the law says the bylaws must be followed. our bylaws say we need X > people. ergo we are legally required to seat X people.
What law says that? Bylaws are for internal operations. We made the bylaws, and there is no entity that will ever enforce breaching bylaws. Now the bylaws clearly state the duties of the treasurer and there has never been an annual report presented to the members. Even if bylaws say one thing and an entity does another. There is really no means to enforce such. Seems there might be some non-profit or other entities that enforce such here in the United States, but its not done by a government entity. If anything maybe on a state by state basis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bylaw_enforcement_officer Keep in mind until 2008 Gentoo did not have official by laws. I helped to draft the by laws that were adopted back in 2008. We did a very transparent review, and went section by section on this list. -- William L. Thomson Jr. Obsidian-Studios, Inc. http://www.obsidian-studios.com