From: Matthew Summers <matthew.summers@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Cc: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:35:30
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Roy Bamford wrote:
5 > On 2008.02.03 16:49, Matthew Summers wrote:
6 >> Roy Bamford wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> Many new users come to gentoo as their first Linux. Many of
9 >>> them are poorly informed about both Linux and Gentoo - I don't
10 >>> know how to reach this group *before* they start asking for
11 >>> help in #gentoo and on the forums. Thats the sort problem we
12 >>> have to solve.
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >> Roy,
16 >
17 >> Towards a solution to this particular issue above, I suggest
18 >> Gentoo provides a documentation project (possibly) entitled
19 >> "Learning Linux with Gentoo". Within this we could easily
20 >> address many issues faced by new Linux/Gentoo users. It would
21 >> seem, as well, to be a good service to the Gentoo and larger
22 >> Linux communities, as many users of other distros get information
23 >> from our documentation pages as well as our forums. This could
24 >> potentially increase Gentoo's exposure as well as our user base
25 >> by "de-mystifying" Gentoo and basically easing new users into our
26 >> way of operating, while also providing a great resource for all
27 >> Linux/Gentoo users. I do want to state that this is not in any
28 >> way intended to disparage the efforts of the Gentoo Documentation
29 >> Project in any way. I think our docs are fantastic in many ways.
30 >> I am simply suggesting some various extensions to that
31 >> documentation base as well as some updates.
32 >
33 >> This would also fit into my earlier proposition regarding the use
34 >> of university technical writing interns for said documentation
35 >> projects as posted to this list and syndicated as a guest post on
36 >> Joshua Jackson's (tsunam) blog.
37 >
38 >> As always, I offer my assistance/support in the aforementioned
39 >> endeavor.
40 >
41 >> Best Regards,
42 >
43 >> Matthew W. Summers (quantumsummers)
47 > Matthew,
48 >
49 > I think this is a good idea. However, one of the issues is that a
50 > body of new users is not even aware of the existance of the current
51 > documentation.
52 >
53 > e.g. How to head off questions like "I've just started the minimal
54 > CD to install Gentoo but all I get is a black screen with some text
55 > at the bottom. Where do I click to install Gentoo?"
56 >
57 > I'm not 100% sure it wasn't a troll but as this represents a class
58 > of problems seen on the forums, I'm sure that some are genuine.
62 Perhaps one easy way to present the necessary information to the users
63 that are "not even aware of the existance of the current
64 documentation" would be to extend the current message that is
65 displayed upon booting to the minimal livecd by loading an ncurses
66 based window that presents the current message and also presents the
67 user 3 radio buttons. The buttons represent three options.
68
69 Option 1- I'm New to Linux
70 (Open lynx (or similar) to the hypothetical page "Learning Linux
71 with Gentoo: I Just Booted the Minimal LiveCD, Now What?")
72 1st Lesson: Use of CTRL + F1-F6 to switch terminals, etc.
73 Option 2 - I'm New to Gentoo
74 (Open lynx (or similar) to the "Gentoo Handbook")
75 Option 3 - Continue to CLI
76 (Set at timeout for this ncurses screen of, say, 15 seconds before
77 proceeding as usual, also allow the user to pass a switch to grub at
78 boot to bypass the ncurses)
79
80 This is a rather brief description, and could easily be refined. It
81 is meant only to convey the general idea, that is, we can modify the
82 usual minimal livecd experience to reflect both the desires of many
83 veteran users to have a rapid & often remote boot, while serving the
84 new, perhaps less knowledgeable, users as well.
85
86 Let me know what you think.
87
88 Best Regards,