From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] RE: [gentoo-council] Foundation by laws: new Article V
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:02:59
On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 21:44 -0700, Chrissy Fullam wrote:
> >as I'm not the only > one discussing this it must be viewed as worth other people's time.
Who else is participating? Alec was responding to your questioning with reasoning. Rich came from left field. Blackace is commenting on my response. So who else is discussing this? Not a single person has made a single post on the recently voted in bylaws other than Chrissy. There are other much more questionable subjects and sections in the bylaws. But those are being ignored. Why this one section? Hmm, well as stated and as history shows. Chrissy have a personal connection to someone who was on both council and trustees. While this has really nothing to do with them specifically. It's not hard to make the connection to why this particular section is being singled out and focus'd on. But mostly a single individual, not my multiple. Not a single person on council has said anything. Or any of the 200+ developers/foundation members. So we have less than 1% here speaking up. Really just one person.
> The discussion is worthwhile to me, I want to > understand the reasoning behind the new rule. I may not agree to it and I > can accept that, but it is entirely within my right to ask for > clarification.
It's not right for every decision or action to be questioned and justified. That will not lead to productivity. The trustees and foundation do not have to answer to every member individually. In fact given the structure, or lack their of. There is no one or nothing above trustees, not council, etc. Just as the trustees are not over the council. So really trustees could do what they like, and only recourse would be to not vote for them next time. Then to reverse anything after the fact. No amount of questioning, bitching, protesting, etc. Will change the trustees actions and opinions. Unless they allow it to. Which that alone, one might say hey the bylaws should address that. But instead of focusing on real sections of the bylaws and looking to improve. We are nit picking on a minor section that is not likely to effect many if any. Since in the history of Gentoo there has only been one to be on both trustees and council. Which means it's not likely to re-occur. So any rules preventing such are quite minor and pretty moot. -- William L. Thomson Jr. Gentoo Linux Developer