From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Fw: [gentoo-dev] License Interpretation
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:41:49
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2008.08.20 20:21, Jim Ramsay wrote:
5
6 [snip]
7
8 IANAL either.
9 >
10 > 2.5.1 You may not modify, adapt, translate or create derivative
11 > works
12 > based upon the Software. You may not reverse engineer, decompile,
13 > disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the
14 > Software except to the extent you may be expressly permitted to
15 > decompile under applicable law,
16
17 Thats jusrisdiction dependent, it says "under applicable law" - you may
18 be allowed to do these things in some regions but not others.
19 Presumably Gentoo did not do this anywhere and only wants to mirror the
20 resulting patch.
21
22 > [if?] it is essential to do so in order to
23 > achieve operability of the Software with another software program,
24 > and you have first requested Adobe to provide the information
25 > necessary to achieve such operability and Adobe has not made such
26 > information available.
27
28 Game over ... its not essential by your own admission. You have an
29 alternative which you state.
30 [snip]
31
32 > 2) I have (and others have) asked Adobe to recompile it with support
33 > for libcurl.so.4 instead of libcurl.so.3, but they have not done so
34 > (or responded to any of these requests, as far as I am aware).
35 libcurl.so.4 is a nice to have.
36
37 I would liken it to the phrase "best endevours" which should never be
38 used between contracting parties. It means none better. You would
39 bankrupt the company to achieve the stated aim. (That has been tested
40 in a UK court). "all reasonable endevours" is fine because proving that
41 more could reasonably have been done is not worth the risk.
44 > Anyone care to weigh in, lawyer or not?
45 >
46 > --
47 > Jim Ramsay
48 > Gentoo Developer (rox/fluxbox/gkrellm)
51 I don't see any of this addressing distribution of a binary patch,
52 which is fairly reasonable, as it tries to make it as legally difficult
53 to create one as possible, so the possibility of distrubution does not
54 occur.
55
56 Adobe must know the patch exists. Since the above does not appear to
57 address the distrubution of a patch that is not supposed to exist, has
58 anyone asked Adobe about distrubution of the patch ?
59
60 - --
61 Regards,
62