From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation Periodic Activities Tracker
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 19:34:54
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:59, Rich Freeman wrote: >> To help improve this I'm going to try to lead efforts to create a >> simple and effective periodic activity tracking checklist. > > you mean like the Gentoo calendar ?
While clearly sticking an entry in the calendar 7 years hence saying "renew trademark" is better than doing nothing, I'm not convinced that is the best solution. I see the calendar as being useful for reminders, but not a very good checklist of things that need to happen. Somebody might complete a task and forget to put a new entry on the calendar (far easier to do than deleting an entry from the tracking list). Maybe somebody puts an entry on the calendar, but not far enough in advance to take action, or maybe ownership is unclear so nobody does anything until the last minute. And so on... As I see it, this list would become the go-to place if somebody (a trustee or interested volunteer) wanted to see when our last tax filing was, etc. The whole goal here is KISS - a list of things that need to happen and when they happened last and need to happen next. If all the future dates are still in the future, then the foundation is essentially in compliance, and if not it is not. Rich