From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] What could the Gentoo Foundation do with money?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 03:56:25
On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 20:01 -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> For more of a fun thread. I am just going to list a bunch of ideas I > personally have had wrt to what Gentoo could do with money. They are not > listed in any particular order. > > 1. Provide all devs with a base development system > 2. Sponsors devs to travel to events, seminars, summits, etc > 3. Sponsors devs for educational purposes, certifications, college, > trade courses, etc > 4. Hold an annual Gentoo Conference for all developers and users > 5. Pay for infra services
I'm glad you are not the treasurer.
> 6. Buy bitchen hardware and toys for infra > 7. Buy new hardware to install/certify Gentoo on ( PS 4, new procs, > big iron, etc)
> 8. Increase schwag and freebie stuff to give away at events
This does not actually make the distro any better.
> 9. Sponsors development via Gentoo summer of code, or fall, winter, > or spring summer of code > 10. Donate/contribute to other projects and charities > 11. Purchase membership for Gentoo in other foundations ( Gentoo > being a member of Gnome foundation, or etc ) > 12. Provide hardware to devs working on certain areas, device > drivers etc ( like buying a bunch of video cards for those > supporting binary drivers, or odd/expensive hardware )
This is a tricky area. Many rules of eligibly would have to be setup and may cause internal conflicts/jealousy among devs getting all the pretty/cool toys.
> 13. Buy licenses to commercial apps so we can package and make > ebuilds available for them.
I would be strongly opposed to #13
> 14. Provide FREE release media
We already do this.
> 15. Marketing and promotional materials ( flyers to hand out at > events, banners, booth displays, etc )
Tree hater..