From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Points to Ponder for Sundays Meeting.
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:12:28
1 On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 01:15 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > > Perhaps if it were worded more so that it allowed for someone to
3 > > retain
4 > > their status only if they vote. That should be close enough to the
5 > > current way things are without forcing people out.
6 >
7 > I'm a little uncomfortable with that as it would mean identifying votes
8 > with individuals. Not publicly but that information would have to be
9 > knowable if membership were tied to voting.
10
11 Well, we already track who voted today for Foundation membership.
12 Remember, all we need to know is if someone voted, not what their vote
13 *was* per se.
14
15 > What about having retired devs apply for membership annually ?
16
17 I wouldn't have a problem with it. Perhaps if we sent out something
18 basically like:
19
20 - Check if Foundation member
21 - Check if retired in LDAP
22 - If so, send a reminder email a week or so before nominations start/the
23 initial meeting
24 - If the person doesn't vote, they're out
25
26 > The idea here being able to keep individual votes secret.
27
28 Indeed.
29
30 > I certainly don't want to forcibly retire active foundation members.
31
32 Agreed. I just see that there are certain people that I am sure would
33 love to have their voices heard in the Foundation, without devoting so
34 much time directly to Gentoo development. I bet guys like drobbins and
35 seemant would love to still have some input, without having to rejoin
36 the development staff or run as a trustee. After all, if we increase
37 the member -> trustee communications, which I think you guys have done a
38 decent job trying to do so far, we could see good changes coming from
39 the Foundation side.
40
41 Here's a good example. I've been to several shows and conferences.
42 Once of the major things that people seem really interested in Gentoo
43 for is embedded work. We don't really have a lot of embedded people
44 within Gentoo. Now, let's say that the Foundation decided that its
45 membership thinks embedded is somewhere we should focus some resources.
46 The Foundation could go and purchase some developer hardware, either to
47 be hosted or to be sent to individuals. They could also recruit
48 specifically for embedded positions. The new developers would be
49 accountable to the Council and general Gentoo policy, but the person
50 could, if desired, bypass some of the normal "Gentoo developer"
51 recruitment. Let's say the person was going to be a coder, and not do
52 anything with ebuilds. The Foundation could even have its own
53 repositories, allowing non-Gentoo developers to commit code without
54 having to become a "Gentoo developer" and deal with Gentoo
55 policy/politics. We have countless examples on nearly every list of
56 people who would like to contribute, have the skills and the time
57 necessary, but don't want to deal with the day-to-day of Gentoo. We
58 should cater to these people.
59
60 Of course, I also think that Gentoo should "splinter" a bit more. I
61 think that we've grown beyond the scope of a single vision and single
62 goals, so some internal "forking" might be helpful. What I mean is
63 create multiple "levels" of developer, without necessarily creating a
64 closed environment. We already somewhat have this with the herds, but
65 this would be extending it a bit further. Basically, we'd have "Gentoo
66 developers" and "Gentoo staff" and finally "Gentoo contributors" who
67 would have access to certain resources, but not the main infrastructure.
68 A contributor would get access to what he needs, without getting things
69 like a Gentoo email address or being subscribed to -core. As overlays
70 become more and more common, this seems like a good way to go. I also
71 think that we should start using overlays more. New projects should get
72 an overlay "for free" essentially. This would allow them to recruit
73 people to work without having to make them become developers. Code
74 moves from the overlays to the main tree would still happen via a
75 "Gentoo developer" and would be checked. This is essentially proxy
76 maintaining, but with the external maintainer getting direct access to a
77 revision control system to do their work.
78
79 Stealing a (rather good, honestly) idea from Sunrise, we could even
80 recruit some people in a more "overlay wranglers" role. Basically, they
81 would be the people to check and verify ebuilds from the overlays and
82 move them to the main tree. We really should push and legitimize
83 overlays. They're a very powerful tool.
84
85 Anyway, I apologize for going so off-topic. I just wanted to get my
86 ideas out while they were still fresh in my head so I could have time to
87 respond to anything prior to the meeting, since I won't be in
88 attendance.
91 Chris Gianelloni
92 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
93 Games Developer