From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Re: Foundation reinstated
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 20:17:50
[sorry if threading breaks have to post via email, not gmane.]
William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 19:27 +0100, Steve Long wrote: >> William L. Thomson Jr. wrote: >> >> > The Gentoo Foundation has been reinstated. We are legal again :) >> > >> w00t! well done: can you guys take some of the non-technical stuff away >> from Council? (see recent thread on -project.) They're not cut out for >> it, nor do we want them to be ;-) > > It was discussed at recent meeting yesterday. We have contacted the > council, and will be seeing what we can do to help out, and/or lift some > or all of the non-technical burdens from the council. > > Along with some other possible restructuring, so the foundation, > resembles other business entities. Essentially council = CTO. But this > still needs to be discussed with current/new council, and is not likely > to change anything in the next month or two. Potentially requiring a > global vote from all devs in the process. >
Well I'd argue Council is Executive body since the main work of the organisation is the technology (with perhaps infra as CTO) but that's an aside.
> Really hard to comment on it at this time. Things are still VERY > premature, and we are working on getting the ball rolling. When there is > more to say on this subject. The board of trustees, council, and/or PR > will put out a statement to that effect. Please be patient, we are aware > of the problems, and looking into what we can do. >
Thanks, that's what I needed to hear.
> FYI, we have no intentions of doing anything in private. That said we > are feeling things out in private, to see if there is any interest. > Before we take matters public. Which either way, they will be made > public ASAP. >
Cool; I have no issue with "secret meetings" (people talk to each other, that's a good thing) so long as decision making is transparent which it has been, and is with the Council too. Meetings that can implement stuff are held in the open and stuff is voted on after reasons have been given and discussed. That those decisions have not always been made before the meeting is another good thing. [I remember there is a rule whereby a couple of Council members can meet in private and pass a resolution (to agree an emergency course of action, or a holding decision.) iirc that had to be ratified at the next full meeting.] -- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list