From: "Matthew Summers; CEO
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Cc: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>, wltjr <wltjr@g.o>, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation Inc Trustees - Adjourned August Meeting
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:00:16
Ferris McCormick wrote:
We do need both, but I do think that tsunam will be more than able to handle these things, given the level of commitment he has already demonstrated over the years.
> > Some organizations (like some banks I looked at) require an official > letter from the secretary certifying that we are the people we claim to > be. Presumably, the secretary writes a letter explaining whatever they > want and has it notarized. I don't know off hand if that is some > regulatory or legal requirement, or if it's just legal CYA. You can > rely on a notarized document, because if we make something up that's > perjury. >
This is technically correct (the best kind ), however unfortunate it may be.
>> We need both, >>> but lack of a secretary won't cause harm to the foundation. Lack of a >>> treasurer and tax filings at end of year. We could lose NPO status. Or >>> be subject to late fees or fines. Unless we file for an extension on our >>> return for 08. >>> >> I was of the impression that tsunam was to remain acting treasurer, is >> that deprecated? > > Problem seems to be that he doesn't have enough time for it. > > I brought up the secretary question because we don't have one at all, > and I think we should bring Matthew on board if he still wants it. That > gives us the additional benefit of showing that yes, we can have > officers who are not members of the Foundation. The officers really > need to be managers; trustees only need to have won a popularity > contest because they are elected. (I prefer the FreeBSD approach, I > think --- as I understand it, their foundation has no members at all. I > could dig their rules out of one of the piles on my desk, but I'm not > going to right now. Gentoo couldn't realistically do that, though, > because we have a culture that says we elect trustees and council > members.) > > Regards, > Ferris
I am still interested, of course, and I will make the time regardless of circumstances to get the work done. In some cases I may have a trusted assistant aid me, but I can do that because I own my business. We work with a lot of non-profits, so we have a great deal of experience in what Gentoo is dealing with now. I also know some really good people that can assist with some of the technical (read legal & financial) requirements & speed bumps we may encounter. I am ready to start when Gentoo calls. Best Regards, Matt -- Matthew W. Summers Chief Executive Officer & Systems Engineer Liquidus Tech, LLC matthew.summers@××××××××××××.com www.liquidustech.com