From: "Matthew Summers; CEO
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Cc: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>, wltjr <wltjr@g.o>, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Foundation Inc Trustees - Adjourned August Meeting
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:00:16
1 Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 > Restricted distribution because I consider it to be sensitive.
3 >
4 > On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 11:57 -0500, Matthew Summers; CEO, Liquidus Tech,
5 > LLC wrote:
6 >> William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
7 >>> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 14:59 +0000, Ferris McCormick wrote:
8 >>>> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 22:18 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
10 >>>>> Hash: SHA1
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> My Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen,
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> The Adjourned August Meeting meeting of the Trustees of the Gentoo
15 >>>>> Foundation Inc will be resumed on Sunday 31th August at the normal time
16 >>>>> of 19:00 UTC.
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>> You may read the agenda at http://xrl.us/kkykb.
19 >>>> Are we going to take action on the secretary? I know we have at least
20 >>>> one application. And secretary is very important.
21 >>> And a treasurer. We need an active one and to open a bank account
22 >>> yesterday. IMHO we need a treasurer more than a secretary.
23 We do need both, but I do think that tsunam will be more than able to
24 handle these things, given the level of commitment he has already
25 demonstrated over the years.
26 >
27 > Some organizations (like some banks I looked at) require an official
28 > letter from the secretary certifying that we are the people we claim to
29 > be. Presumably, the secretary writes a letter explaining whatever they
30 > want and has it notarized. I don't know off hand if that is some
31 > regulatory or legal requirement, or if it's just legal CYA. You can
32 > rely on a notarized document, because if we make something up that's
33 > perjury.
34 >
35 This is technically correct (the best kind ), however unfortunate it may be.
36
37 >> We need both,
38 >>> but lack of a secretary won't cause harm to the foundation. Lack of a
39 >>> treasurer and tax filings at end of year. We could lose NPO status. Or
40 >>> be subject to late fees or fines. Unless we file for an extension on our
41 >>> return for 08.
42 >>>
43 >> I was of the impression that tsunam was to remain acting treasurer, is
44 >> that deprecated?
45 >
46 > Problem seems to be that he doesn't have enough time for it.
47 >
48 > I brought up the secretary question because we don't have one at all,
49 > and I think we should bring Matthew on board if he still wants it. That
50 > gives us the additional benefit of showing that yes, we can have
51 > officers who are not members of the Foundation. The officers really
52 > need to be managers; trustees only need to have won a popularity
53 > contest because they are elected. (I prefer the FreeBSD approach, I
54 > think --- as I understand it, their foundation has no members at all. I
55 > could dig their rules out of one of the piles on my desk, but I'm not
56 > going to right now. Gentoo couldn't realistically do that, though,
57 > because we have a culture that says we elect trustees and council
58 > members.)
59 >
60 > Regards,
61 > Ferris
62
63 I am still interested, of course, and I will make the time regardless of
64 circumstances to get the work done. In some cases I may have a trusted
65 assistant aid me, but I can do that because I own my business. We work
66 with a lot of non-profits, so we have a great deal of experience in what
67 Gentoo is dealing with now. I also know some really good people that
68 can assist with some of the technical (read legal & financial)
69 requirements & speed bumps we may encounter.
70
71 I am ready to start when Gentoo calls.
72 Best Regards,
73 Matt
76 Matthew W. Summers
77
78 Chief Executive Officer & Systems Engineer
79 Liquidus Tech, LLC
80 matthew.summers@××××××××××××.com
81 www.liquidustech.com