From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 02:02:59
1 On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 21:48 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:21 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
3 >
4 > > Your cool, no worries. I was just making a point there, using you as an
5 > > example, sorry about that.
6 >
7 > So, I think the issue here is that we're over-personalizing things. I
8 > think we need to step back.
9
10 Well someones qualifications that might make them suited for a
11 particular position is a personal matter. I wasn't meaning to focus on
12 you, just came across you at the time. But when it comes to like Council
13 and Foundation, elections in general, people should really vote more
14 based on qualifications than other reasons.
15
16 Developers are qualified via quizzes. Its not like Gentoo just lets
17 anyone commit code without proving they have the necessary skills. But
18 once your in the door, you have free rein to get involved in areas you
19 may not be qualified for or have the necessary skills.
20
21 Its good to have a empty seat filled. But if the person filling it can't
22 get the tasks at hand done. There is not much difference to the seat
23 being empty. :)
24
25 > Let's give the trustees a little time to respond, because honestly all
26 > we can really add to this is speculation.
27
28 I have no plans for any immediate action, and am awaiting a response.
29
30 > Unless there is a good reason not to, we really should try to make
31 > filings public.
32
33 At least something to track that its been done. Some states provide this
34 information on their websites, but seems New Mexico does not. The IRS of
35 course does not publish such things, but it is part of public record. I
36 don't believe it contains any sensitive information
37
38 > That really can be as simple as a scanned PDF on a website or
39 > something - there is no need to go crazy with GuideXML making it look
40 > pretty (though that doesn't hurt).
41
42 Basically my point, so providing proof should not be to difficult, a
43 variety of ways to go about it. However they could also be proactive and
44 do announcements just the same.
45
46 > If there are reasons not to make that public then I'm certainly all
47 > ears, although at least the New Mexico annual report form looks to be
48 > pretty innocuous.
49
50 Should be the same with the IRS forms. The same financial information
51 likely exists in other places. Its just a good way to prove to all that
52 its been taken care of. Not to mention if there is any question or
53 problem with the filing. Can grab a copy and re-submit. Would surely
54 help out future boards if they face any problems ;)
57 William L. Thomson Jr.
58 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
59 http://www.obsidian-studios.com