From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Please restore gentoo - leadership structure needs fixed..
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 02:21:31
1 On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 18:45 -0500, Dirk R. Gently wrote:
2 > Thank you trustees for reading this. I am a Gentoo user and really
3 > enjoy the Gentoo distribution. Thank you trustees for making this
4 > available to me. As it is though, isn't working. Gentoo remains
5 > drifting with little leadership. I am a supporter of Daniel Robbin's
6 > offer to help get Gentoo into a proper leadership structure. I ask
7 > that this be done and I believe this is the general consensus:
8
9 It's easy to make a decision when you're not the one who has to live
10 with it. It's also easy to make a decision when someone else has to do
11 all the work.
12
13 Most developers will agree that we need some sort of direction. Daniel
14 could very well provide that direction and help Gentoo, tremendously,
15 but he has given some "strings" to his offer that essentially gives him
16 complete control of Gentoo. While Daniel is a very great guy and
17 certainly can be considered a visionary, I do not personally believe
18 that *any* one person is capable of holding the reins for all of Gentoo.
19 If Daniel were to stick to the Foundation side of things, focusing on
20 Gentoo's relationships with other companies, projects, etc. and worked
21 on promoting Gentoo, I think we all would agree to have him back.
22 However, his blog post attaches quite a few strings that don't sit well
23 with the idea of an open and free community. For one, he seems to make
24 no provisions for the Gentoo Council. This council was elected by the
25 developer body to represent them. Throwing that out is almost a slap in
26 the face to the community.
27
28 Sure, the Council could use a little direction. Honestly, many people
29 are afraid to take action because *every* action results in huge flame
30 wars and complaints. Having someone like Daniel (could be anyone,
31 really) to provide a vision for Gentoo would be beneficial. However,
32 the Council should be the responsible party for making sure that Gentoo
33 is moving in the right direction. There was a separation of the legal
34 (Foundation) and technical (Council) bodies within Gentoo for a reason.
35 It allowed the technical side to work unimpeded by the legal side.
36
37 > Gentoo currently has alot of well trained users. I have often seen
38 > many good ideas come to the forums but often they stop there because
39 > there is a lack of a leadership structure that is able to implement
40 > them. Getting something done would require tracking down whom is
41 > responsible for the project (not always easy), discovering if that
42 > person is still active (or cares) about doing anything, and persuading
43 > that person into doing it (right now there is only a lot of talk.)
44
45 See, the problem that most people don't realize is that having a leader
46 won't change this. A leader won't be able to get involved in every
47 little detail. It's simply impossible with how much we've grown since
48 2002/2003, when Daniel was still around. Having a leader to provide
49 *vision* and *direction* is very much possible and something that Gentoo
50 may well need. Of course, empowering the Council to make these
51 decisions so they're not afraid of the repercussions could accomplish
52 the same goal.
53
54 What Daniel gives that no other person can truly give is someone to
55 rally behind. Daniel started Gentoo. As such, he has a unique position
56 which can *never* be filled by someone else. However, that doesn't mean
57 that Gentoo *needs* Daniel to thrive. Gentoo simply needs for the
58 leadership to know that whether people agree or not with their
59 decisions, that those decisions are respected and followed. After all,
60 the Council *is* an elected body. Every developer has a chance to voice
61 his concerns during the nomination period. Every developer has a chance
62 to vote. Every developer has a chance to run for Council and change
63 things himself/herself.
64 >
65 > Serious change is needed, and the value of Gentoo is necessary to many
66 > people. Please foundation, accept Daniel's offer for the better of
67 > the entire community. I just read his offer and time is important.
68 > If current trustees who are inactive please contact them and let them
69 > know of the proposal.
70
71 What makes you say that "serious change" is needed? Sometimes a little
72 change goes a *very* long way.
73
74 We're looking into all of the options, including taking Daniel up on his
75 offer. We plan on considering each and determining the best long-term
76 outcome for Gentoo. No matter what we decide, I strongly encourage
77 Daniel to contribute to Gentoo. After all, he *is* the original
78 visionary of Gentoo. Even without any form of "official" status within
79 the ranks, his insights and ideas will *always* be considered, many
80 times much more heavily than other people's, simply because of who he is
81 and what he has done for Gentoo.
82
83 The trustees and developer pool are well aware of Daniel's proposal.
84 We've been discussing it internally, but are moving the discussion to
85 this list so it gets wider exposure.
86
87 Realize that certain aspects of Daniel's proposal leaves a very bad
88 taste in many developer's mouths. For example, Daniel posted his
89 proposal on his blog. He didn't email the trustees, council, pr, or any
90 other Gentoo organization. He posted a blog entry. While this likely
91 accomplished what I believe is Daniel's real goal, to get something
92 going and to provoke Gentoo into action, it lends one to wonder about
93 his motives. After all, he could have just as easily posted to any of
94 the previously mentioned aliases, or even to our private -core internal
95 list. Daniel has access to send to that list, as far as I am aware.
96
97 > Thank you Daniel for letting me know of this. I was not aware that
98 > the Foundation has missed yet another required duty to make the
99 > community/distribution run. I just read this and I am upset because I
100 > wish I had seen this sooner. I wrote the trustees and support your
101 > proposal. I ask though, if the trustees cannot be reached (that last
102 > post mentioned only two seem to be active) what can be done? Does
103 > anyone have the active email addresses of the trustees. Perhaps a
104 > email campaign by the Gentoo users can help.
105
106 Just a bit of history pertaining to this. We were made aware, via
107 Daniel's blog, actually, of our status with New Mexico. I personally
108 signed and faxed the paperwork for the New Mexico filing back in August.
109 As far as I knew, everything was taken care of with the Foundation. We
110 were *totally* unaware that our status had changed for the worse and not
111 the better until Daniel's recent blog posts.
112
113 So, it isn't that we didn't do anything. It's that we (likely) didn't
114 do it correctly. As such, we're trying to resolve the issue via what we
115 consider the best means. We're investigating all of our potential
116 solutions and will be enacting one soon.
117
118 I hope that this clears up some things.
121 Chris Gianelloni
122 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
123 Games Developer