From: Matthew Summers <matthew.summers@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Cc: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:43:45
1 Roy Bamford wrote:
4 > Many new users come to gentoo as their first Linux. Many of them
5 > are poorly informed about both Linux and Gentoo - I don't know how
6 > to reach this group *before* they start asking for help in #gentoo
7 > and on the forums. Thats the sort problem we have to solve.
10 Roy,
11
12 Towards a solution to this particular issue above, I suggest Gentoo
13 provides a documentation project (possibly) entitled "Learning Linux
14 with Gentoo". Within this we could easily address many issues faced
15 by new Linux/Gentoo users. It would seem, as well, to be a good
16 service to the Gentoo and larger Linux communities, as many users of
17 other distros get information from our documentation pages as well as
18 our forums. This could potentially increase Gentoo's exposure as well
19 as our user base by "de-mystifying" Gentoo and basically easing new
20 users into our way of operating, while also providing a great resource
21 for all Linux/Gentoo users. I do want to state that this is not in
22 any way intended to disparage the efforts of the Gentoo Documentation
23 Project in any way. I think our docs are fantastic in many ways. I am
24 simply suggesting some various extensions to that documentation base
25 as well as some updates.
26
27 This would also fit into my earlier proposition regarding the use of
28 university technical writing interns for said documentation projects
29 as posted to this list and syndicated as a guest post on Joshua
30 Jackson's (tsunam) blog.
31
32 As always, I offer my assistance/support in the aforementioned endeavor.
33
34 Best Regards,
35
36 Matthew W. Summers