From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Spending money authority
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:45:06
Alistair Bush wrote:
> > And what happens if the Council actions funding that is against the > interests of Gentoo. Is the Foundation to blindly accept there decision. >
Well, if the two bodies have the same constituency I can't see this being too likely to happen. While the foundation can technically exercise a veto on the spending of money, and has other legal powers with regard to the trademark and use of property owned by the foundation, its ability to use this power is limited practically. Imagine what would happen if the trustees decided they really didn't like the council's actions and decided to take any kind of serious action as a result. I'm not talking about not paying $200 for a booth at a conference - I'm talking about calling up a hosting company and reassigning root access on an infrastructure box or something like that, so that policy can be changed and enforced. That kind of action could potentially lead to a fork - particularly if a majority of devs oppose the action. It would only work out ok if the devs managed to elect a bunch of dictators to the council and regretted their choices later (but somehow managed to not elect similarly-minded dictators to the trustees). Again, as long as both bodies are elected by the same developers I don't think that it is likely that they'll ever be in this kind of opposition. However, in practice neither body has that great a "veto" power over the other. Legal ownership of property isn't a big trump card in an open-source linux distro. It is nice to come up with theoretical scenarios where various groups can override each other, but we're talking about human beings here, and people don't just sit and watch while their democratically-elected leaders are dismantled (in either organization). Both groups have the needs of Gentoo at heart, and as a result neither can afford to start a war with the other... -- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list