From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Fwd: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 03:41:28
1 Crap, wrong From address.
4 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
5 From: Alec Warner <antarus@×××××××××××.com>
6 Date: Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:40 PM
7 Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
8 To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
9 Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
12 On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:27 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
13 <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
14 > On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 20:17 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
15 >>
16 >> No way? How negative :P. I think this is a noble goal (even if only
17 >> to pay a fraction).
18 >
19 > See list archive between say September and October. Very low volume
20 > then. My ideas not even matured were raped to pieces.
23 I will say I was a bit rash in that conversation. Note that claiming
24 you want to pay folks when
25 you presently have no money sounds silly (and it still kind of does).
26
27 Claiming you want to help the foundation make money because sometime
28 in the nebulous future you want
29 to be a more independent project is a bit more...well presented arguement?
30
31 I don't recall you mentioning for instance, FreeBSD's success in asset
32 management and distribution; certainly it
33 helps make your point a bit clearer no?
34
35 >> I would, however, choose not to throw away certain principles of how I
36 >> think Gentoo should be ran to
37 >> achieve this end and I sometimes feel that William's ideas would do so
38 >> (e.g. selling advertising space).
39 >
40 > We are selling ad space now. Just indirectly and with no consistent
41 > policies. Plus some like GNi get questionable benefit.
42
43 You may interpret it as selling; I do not. It is a 'you scratched our
44 back and we will scratch yours' kind of deal.
47 > But Gentoo having ads is selling out just as much as Google is by making
48 > billions of ads in the first place :) Which Gentoo turns around and uses
49 > for Summer of Code and etc.
50 >
51 > I love the double standard, and all the ideals do what exactly for
52 > Gentoo?
53
54 They give me warm fuzzies?
55
56 Google loses millions of dollars a year by leaving the "I'm feeling
57 lucky!" search button on their front page by virtue of users never
58 seeing advertisements for queries served by that button. Why doesn't
59 Google remove it and recoup all that money? What does the button do
60 for Google?
61
62 I imagine a bunch of engineers would get pissed if it was removed
63 because it is a fun item and shows that Google is a fun company.
64
65 I imagine if you sold space on the web page a bunch of 'community
66 members' would get pissed because Gentoo doesn't do stuff like sell
67 advertising to anyone because it is a project run by volunteers who
68 don't want corporate overlords.
71 > --
72 > William L. Thomson Jr.
73 > amd64/Java/Trustees