From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Fwd: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 03:41:28
Crap, wrong From address.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alec Warner <antarus@×××××××××××.com>
Date: Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:27 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
<wltjr@g.o> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 20:17 -0700, Alec Warner wrote: >> >> No way? How negative :P. I think this is a noble goal (even if only >> to pay a fraction). > > See list archive between say September and October. Very low volume > then. My ideas not even matured were raped to pieces. >
I will say I was a bit rash in that conversation. Note that claiming you want to pay folks when you presently have no money sounds silly (and it still kind of does). Claiming you want to help the foundation make money because sometime in the nebulous future you want to be a more independent project is a bit more...well presented arguement? I don't recall you mentioning for instance, FreeBSD's success in asset management and distribution; certainly it helps make your point a bit clearer no?
>> I would, however, choose not to throw away certain principles of how I >> think Gentoo should be ran to >> achieve this end and I sometimes feel that William's ideas would do so >> (e.g. selling advertising space). > > We are selling ad space now. Just indirectly and with no consistent > policies. Plus some like GNi get questionable benefit.
You may interpret it as selling; I do not. It is a 'you scratched our back and we will scratch yours' kind of deal.
> > But Gentoo having ads is selling out just as much as Google is by making > billions of ads in the first place :) Which Gentoo turns around and uses > for Summer of Code and etc. > > I love the double standard, and all the ideals do what exactly for > Gentoo?
They give me warm fuzzies? Google loses millions of dollars a year by leaving the "I'm feeling lucky!" search button on their front page by virtue of users never seeing advertisements for queries served by that button. Why doesn't Google remove it and recoup all that money? What does the button do for Google? I imagine a bunch of engineers would get pissed if it was removed because it is a fun item and shows that Google is a fun company. I imagine if you sold space on the web page a bunch of 'community members' would get pissed because Gentoo doesn't do stuff like sell advertising to anyone because it is a project run by volunteers who don't want corporate overlords.
-- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list