From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] Board of trustees
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:14:09
> Glad to see this coming to pass. Can you ellaborate on the > organization structure of Gentoo once the NFP is created, and > what the roles of the board will be versus the roles of other > parts of the distribution? I don't want to see us walk into > this NFP upgrading every manager to a board member and then > nothing changes with the NFP other than the name.
Well, I am not sure what your expectations are regarding the NFP. In earlier emails, you expressed a desire to simply see the NFP set up and that would be sufficient (ie. "first things first.") Now, you appear to have a very different viewpoint, namely that just setting up the NFP is _not_ sufficient and that you are expecting something more. You haven't made it clear to make what this "something more" you're expecting is, so maybe you could give me a better idea of your expectations? The transition to NFP is purposely not addressing any organizational issues besides getting the NFP in place and getting a board of trustees in place. Let me just highlight some points about the NFP to make sure we're on the same page and your concerns aren't due to a misunderstanding. There are clearly many other issues related to Gentoo that need to be addressed, and there always will be. The initial board and successive boards will be responsible for addressing these issues -- or maybe it's better to say that they'll be responsible for ensuring that Gentoo as a whole is able to readily address these issues. For trustees to continue to be able to serve as trustees for successive terms, they will need to be able to demonstrate to the developers as a whole that they have knowledge and concern about those "key Gentoo needs" that you are concerned about. This is how the establishment of the NFP in itself creates a mechanism to ensure that your concerns and the concerns of other developers do get addressed. The board will be responsible to the developers to improve our organizational model so that it's more pleasant and productive for developers and project leads. They'll also be responsible for looking into funding for Gentoo as a whole. The plan is to get the NFP set up first and then allow the board to address these issues as a team. Their role is to be gentle caretakers who allow the project to move forward. Hope that helps. Regards, Daniel -- gentoo-nfp@g.o mailing list