From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: "'Robin H. Johnson'" <robbat2@g.o>, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] Bylaws question - 4.9, purposes
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:56:08
1 > > > > Section 4.9. Termination from Membership.
2 > > > > Membership may be terminated by a majority vote of the board of
3 > > > > trustees in the event that any member acts contrary to the
4 > > > > purpose(s) of the Gentoo Foundation.
5 > > >
6 > > > This doesn't seem to be clearly defined anywhere. Is it the social
7 > > > contract of Gentoo? Just seeking clarification.
8 > >
9 > > The purpose of the Gentoo Foundation Inc is stated
10 > > http://www.nmprc.state.nm.us/cgi-bin/prcdtl.cgi?2463313 which is taken
11 > > from our articles of incorporation.
12 >
13 > NMPRC version:
14 > "EDUCATION & PROMOTION OF SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT"
15 >
16 > Articles of Incorporation, per NMPRC recieved 2004/05/24:
17 > "The Corporation is organized and at all times shall be operated, on a
18 > non-profit basis exclusive for the advancement and education and promotion
19 > of software development in an open environment"
20 >
21 > Those both seem nebulous and boiler-plate, but thanks anyway.
22 > It was just the dangling reference that was bugging me.
23
24 Do you think perhaps you could be more detailed in that section (4.9) to
25 include the purpose? I like the bit from the Articles better as it includes
26 the 'in an open environment' section but that's personal preference.
29 Kind regards,
30 Christina Fullam
31 Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Gentoo Public Relations