From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Spending money authority
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:48:33
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2008.06.12 15:34, Richard Freeman wrote:
5 >
6 > Currently they are essentially the same. However, the reason I bring
7 > this up is that there is some debate over whether the foundation
8 > membership should be substantially expanded beyond just gentoo devs
9 > (possibly including end-users, or those willing to pay a membership
10 > fee
11 > of some sort). These kinds of situations could lead to the sorts of
12 > conflicts I'd like to avoid, as now you have two boards with
13 > different
14 >
15 > agendas in charge of aspects of the same project.
16 > --
17 > gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list
20 The constituencies are not the same but today, under the draft bylaws,
21 they are diverging. That is something the trustees need to fix in the
22 first formal adoption of bylaws.
23
24 To vote in a council election, developers must have been developers for
25 a year (from memory). Thus the council represents the views of that
26 group of developers. Also, only developers may serve as councilors.
27
28 To qualify to vote in a trustee election, the electorate is formed from
29 foundation member and those eligible to become a foundation member.
30 At present, you become a foundation member by voting in a trustee
31 election. To be an eligible non-member, you need to have been a
32 developer for a year. Read that a few times, its a little circular.
33
34 This means that the foundation represents its members who are all the
35 dev's who have ever voted in an election. Only foundation members may
36 serve as trustees.
37
38 Under present draft bylaws foundation membership never lapses so such
39 famous past developers as drobbins (our first president) have votes and
40 could become trustees. Thus under present draft bylaws the foundation
41 becomes more representative of members who are ex devs, simply because
42 one day, ex devs members will outnumber active dev members.
43
44 Note that elegible active devs who have never voted in a trustee
45 election are not foundation members.
46
47 - --
48 Regards,