From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-managers@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] I met with my lawyer
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:16:33
1 Hi Guys,
2
3 I met with my lawyer and this is the tenative plan for the not for profit.
4 In this plan, I am attempting to balance the commitments I have made to
5 individuals with my desire to see Gentoo proceed on the best possible
6 footing. I am sharing this with you all so I can get feedback and
7 suggestions. I also need to get this NFP set up in the next few days so it's
8 important that suggestions are shared soon and are focused on some
9 implementable change to this plan. (Ie. This isn't a good time to start a
10 long discussion about some tangential topic that could eat up a lot of our
11 time and not assist in refining the plan below.)
12
13 Gentoo Foundation, Inc. proposal
14
15 The purpose of this foundation is to hold the intellectual property of the
16 Gentoo free software project. It will have a board of trustees. This
17 not-for-profit will be an open membership trade association.
18
19 Trade associations (unlike charities) can be more restrictive in their
20 requirements for membership. Membership will be limited to Gentoo
21 developers. The criteria for being a Gentoo developer will be determined by
22 the board of trustees. There will be no membership dues.
23
24 There will be an initial board of trustees appointed, which will be selected
25 to meet my commitments to existing managers and developers. This initial
26 board of trustees will serve for one year from the establishment of the
27 Gentoo Foundation, after which point a the board will be elected by the
28 members (Gentoo developers.) After that, regular elections will be held
29 (election cycle TBD) to determine board members.
30
31 The Gentoo Store will pay for the establishment of this not-for-profit. The
32 Gentoo Store will also pay for the Gentoo Foundation's application for
33 501(c)(6) federal trade association status (~$5000 or so?)
34
35 Gentoo Technologies, Inc. will transfer the copyrights and trademarks to the
36 Gentoo Foundation. In exchange, the Gentoo Foundation will grant Daniel
37 Robbins & Gentoo Technologies, Inc. perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free
38 use of the "Gentoo" trademark and "G" logo. This will allow me to continue
39 to run the Gentoo Store if I want.
40
41 I will be a member of the initial board of trustess, to give legitimacy to
42 the Gentoo Foundation and also show my commitment to the future success of
43 this entity.
44
45 If you have any suggestions for improvement or for coordinator/project lead
46 structure, try to see if you can suggest it so that it can work in the
47 context of what I've just outlined above.
48
49 Sincerely,
50
51 Daniel