From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-managers@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] I met with my lawyer
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:16:33
Hi Guys,

I met with my lawyer and this is the tenative plan for the not for profit.
In this plan, I am attempting to balance the commitments I have made to
individuals with my desire to see Gentoo proceed on the best possible
footing. I am sharing this with you all so I can get feedback and
suggestions. I also need to get this NFP set up in the next few days so it's
important that suggestions are shared soon and are focused on some
implementable change to this plan. (Ie. This isn't a good time to start a
long discussion about some tangential topic that could eat up a lot of our
time and not assist in refining the plan below.)

Gentoo Foundation, Inc. proposal

The purpose of this foundation is to hold the intellectual property of the
Gentoo free software project. It will have a board of trustees. This
not-for-profit will be an open membership trade association.

Trade associations (unlike charities) can be more restrictive in their
requirements for membership. Membership will be limited to Gentoo
developers. The criteria for being a Gentoo developer will be determined by
the board of trustees. There will be no membership dues.

There will be an initial board of trustees appointed, which will be selected
to meet my commitments to existing managers and developers. This initial
board of trustees will serve for one year from the establishment of the
Gentoo Foundation, after which point a the board will be elected by the
members (Gentoo developers.) After that, regular elections will be held
(election cycle TBD) to determine board members.

The Gentoo Store will pay for the establishment of this not-for-profit. The
Gentoo Store will also pay for the Gentoo Foundation's application for
501(c)(6) federal trade association status (~$5000 or so?)

Gentoo Technologies, Inc. will transfer the copyrights and trademarks to the
Gentoo Foundation. In exchange, the Gentoo Foundation will grant Daniel
Robbins & Gentoo Technologies, Inc. perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free
use of the "Gentoo" trademark and "G" logo. This will allow me to continue
to run the Gentoo Store if I want.

I will be a member of the initial board of trustess, to give legitimacy to
the Gentoo Foundation and also show my commitment to the future success of
this entity.

If you have any suggestions for improvement or for coordinator/project lead
structure, try to see if you can suggest it so that it can work in the
context of what I've just outlined above.

Sincerely,

Daniel