From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Logo usage on http://snapcraft.io/
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 14:12:20
1 On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 03:54:55PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >> The Foundation isn't even the copyright holder of the (vector
3 > >> version of the) logo, therefore it cannot grant such permission.
4 >
5 > > I don't think this is correct. The Gentoo Foundation does have
6 > > copyright ownership over the logo, see
7 > > http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=78323020&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
8 >
9 > So you say that the information given on this page:
10 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Artwork/Artwork#Vector_version_.22g.22_logo
11 > is wrong? For example, for the second image it claims "Vector version
12 > by Lennart Andre Rolland, licensed under CC-BY-SA/2.5".
13 >
14 > Note that we are talking about copyright here, not about the
15 > trademark (which is owned by the Gentoo Foundation).
16
17 I might have wrongly used "copyright" then, but that doesn't make my claim
18 completely incorrect imo. When someone uses the Gentoo "g" logo
19 (design/structure, as trademarked) not according to the guidelines mentioned
20 in the "Gentoo Name and Logo Usage Guidelines" document, the Foundation is
21 entitled to - if needed - grant permission.
22
23 I do agree that, if the logo (design/structure) is allowed to be used, then
24 there might still be the issue of which format you use and the potential
25 copyright on that.
26
27 Wkr,
28 Sven Vermeulen