From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>, gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Soliciting Feedback: Gentoo Copyright Assignments / Licensing
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 05:01:16
1 On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 02:32:25AM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >> 1. Are you party to any *copyright assignment* (eg FSF copyright assignment)?
4 >
5 > You need to rephrase this to be (in order for it to make any sense):
6 > Are you party to any *copyright assignment* that is not part of your
7 > employment agreement?
8 >
9 > Otherwise, everyone in the US, and most other countries, would almost
10 > always have to just say "yes" to this, as their employer owns the
11 > copyright for their work no matter what it is done on (open source or
12 > not.)
13
14 Work done for hire is certainly owned by the employer, unless an
15 agreement to the contrary is explicitly documented, but employment
16 agreements that purport to assign copyright for works unrelated to
17 employment to the employer are rare. Maybe they're not as rare in the
18 software industry, but most people aren't employed in the software
19 industry (even if most Gentoo developers might be - though perhaps not
20 as a big a majority as you might expect).
21
22 Certainly I haven't signed any kind of document that assigns ownership
23 of works created on my own time to my employer, and the legality of
24 any contract I did sign to that effect would be dubious.
27 > Remember, in the US, individuals who actually own the copyright on the
28 > work they do is quite rare once they get out of college, and even then,
29 > while in college, the school does have the right to assert copyright
30 > ownership of the work, depending on what it was done on/for (who
31 > provided the equipment, tasks, etc.)
32
33 Ownership of "work" in the sense of something you're paid to do
34 usually does tend to reside with whoever is paying you to do the work,
35 unless you're a consultant of some kind or otherwise paid by the
36 engagement (in which case it is usually spelled out). Ownership of
37 stuff like the photos everybody will be taking next week with family
38 rarely ends up belonging to an employer.
39
40 Don't get me wrong, if somebody is being paid by the Linux Foundation
41 to update packages in various distros I could certainly see how that
42 could be considered a work for hire. However, such arrangements are
43 rare even in the open source world.
44
45 However, as you've pointed out those situations do exist and the
46 contributions covered by them are often important. If we were to
47 pursue assignment of some kind, then I'm thinking that a voluntary
48 arrangement like the one used by KDE would make more sense. However,
49 about the only thing that would really help with is keeping the
50 copyright notice simple (if Gentoo owns 50+% of a file we could
51 probably just put "Copyright 2012 Gentoo Foundation" on it, but don't
52 quote me on that as I'd like to get some confirmation on that and find
53 out what others are doing). It probably wouldn't be worth the trouble
54 unless it could be semi-automated (Google collects CLA signatures
55 electronically - and electronic signatures are a whole separate mess
56 of law - the legal standards are pretty low but I really wonder how
57 well they'd stand up if somebody wanted to repudiate one).
58
59 Rich