From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation update
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:25:55
1 On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 14:15 -0600, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 >
3 > What happened to the SFLC?
4 > --------------------------
5 >
6 > Weren't we going to consider joinging the Software Freedom Law Center's
7 > Software Freedom Conservancy (http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/)?
8 > Yes, and the SFC was, and still is, interested (as of just a few days
9 > ago, anyway), although they have some concerns about managing the legal
10 > aspects of an entire distribution. (Gentoo would be larger, by far,
11 > than any of their current member projects.) I still think that's the
12 > right way to go
13
14 snip...
15
16 > I'd like to have all of this stuff sent to the SFC on Monday,
17 > if at all possible.
18
19 Does the SFC have adequate funding? Seemed like they were very tight on
20 funds, and even if we had a our ducks in a row. All things per their
21 list and likings. They have no $ for us.
22
23 Much less if they have never managed an entity like that. Why are you so
24 confident they can handle us and our problems? Not meant to be
25 confrontational, just curious your thoughts there.
26
27 Seems like them being new, lack of adequate funding, and lack of
28 experience managing an entity like ours, much less our size. Seems like
29 a very risky proposition.
30
31 IMHO the SPI is WAY better. More established, been around longer.
32 Manages Debian, used to do Gnome, etc. Likely has enough funding, surely
33 enough experience, etc.
34
35 Not to start a debate or etc. But minor discussion is cool. It's all
36 meaningless short of informing all involved. I am sure the SFC or SPI is
37 something that would be taken to a trustee vote or etc. So surely not
38 decided upon here or now.
39
40 Just wanted to weight out the pros and cons of the two.
43 William L. Thomson Jr.
44 Gentoo/amd64/Java