From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] [g2boojum@gentoo.org: Re: Request for funds]
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:34:59
1 We recently had a dev request funds to attend a conference. The details
2 aren't particularly important, but I'm attaching my response and sending
3 this message to -nfp for further comment. Many trustees have already
4 responded in private, and I'm hoping that they'll forward their replies
5 to this list as well.
6
7 We need to have a real discussion about how we should spend our money,
8 and my opinion is that such discussions should include all of the
9 foundation, not just the trustees.
10
11 Thoughts?
12
13 Thanks,
14 g2boojum
15
16 ----- Forwarded message from Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o> -----
17
18 From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
19 Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:56:01 -0500
20 Cc: trustees@g.o, java@g.o
21 User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.10i
22 Subject: Re: Request for funds
25 Although I would love for the Foundation to be able to subsidize devs
26 attending meetings, my personal view is that we don't have the funds for
27 it. Or, to be more specific, we don't have the funds to agree to all
28 such proposals, or even a good method for determining which meetings are
29 "more worthy" than others.
30
31 As much as I would love to argue that Gentoo should send me to PyCon in
32 February, I think it's a bad idea. (Fortunately, the next PyCon is only
33 four hours away, so I think I can manage getting my work to pay for it.)
34 The reason is that we're always going to have more devs who want to go
35 places than money to pay for it, so I think it's just a bad habit to get
36 into.
37
38 Of course, the other 12 trustees are welcome to disagree with me!
39
40 -g2boojum-
41 --
42 Grant Goodyear
43 Gentoo Developer
44 g2boojum@g.o
45 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
46 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76
50 ----- End forwarded message -----
53 Grant Goodyear
54 Gentoo Developer
55 g2boojum@g.o
56 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
57 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76