From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question about other people's intellectual property
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:10:53
On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 10:36 +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 04:08:02PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote: > > Enemy Territory, though free, has a restriction that would keep us from > > distributing it in "modified form", which includes the installed form. > > The only form that we can provide it in is the installer itself. > > > > If I wanted to get permission from Id to make, say, the old Gentoo Games > > Enemy Territory CD and redistribute it, they would need to grant a > > specific license to the Foundation to allow this, correct? > > Yes > > > Now, who/what would that license cover? The Foundation? All the > > developers? Our mirrors? > > Redistribution by the Gentoo Project represented by the Gentoo Foundation.
OK.
> > What legal bindings does the Foundation have to say, developer Y? Can > > the Foundation engage in legal contracts on the behalf of Gentoo Linux? > > No, Gentoo developers are no employees of any kind and are not bound to any > agreement (except perhaps for the transfer of rights for contributed Work > but that's still under discussion). > > The Foundation cannot engage any legal contract on the behalf of any Gentoo > developer, not even on behalf of its members or board members.
This is totally contradictory to what you said above. A license granted to the Foundation *is* a legal contract. Are you saying that even though someone could grant us a license that it holds absolutely no value? Does this mean we have exactly zero means of getting licenses or engaging in partnerships with other companies? -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager Games - Developer Gentoo Linux