From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 20:04:22
On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 10:36 -0700, Chrissy Fullam wrote:
> > At first I thought two classes of members was not necessary, nor did it > > make sense. I still feel that way in the current sense of the two classes > > as the bylaws read now. However further thought on how we can open up our > > membership base, and also how we might bring additional funds to Gentoo. > > > > I am thinking we go with two classes of members, individual and business > > class. > > > > Where individuals are free to join the foundation. Completing some basic > > application/form, and agreeing to things like the GSC, or etc. Some basic > > common requirement for screening purposes, within reason. The same process > > would apply for businesses as well. But depending on the size of the > > organization. We would have a tiered fee structure which they are required > > to pay before joining foundation. > > > > Finally any business would appoint a representative. Which that person > > would not qualify to be an individual foundation member. Since they would > > essentially have access to two votes. > > > > I believe this might be kinda controversial, maybe not. This really > > doesn't do anything for businesses. 1 vote as a member on the foundation > > doesn't really do anything. But at least gives them a voice. Plus helps > > bring some $ to the foundation, and opens up membership base. > > > > Just some thoughts, totally open for all input, and discussions on this > > topic. > > How would Gentoo benefit from having non-developers (individuals as you put > it) and businesses (you don't mention sponsors so I presume any business, > say Intel) be allowed to become part of the foundation and have a vote? >
We already have non-developers as Foundation members. Developers who are members of the Foundation when they leave the developer ranks remain Foundation members. For example, it looks like we have 12 Foundation members whose nicknames start with 'a' and 4 of them are in the retired developer list. I have no idea if that is typical --- I just took 'a' because it was easiest.
Regards, Ferris -- Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)