From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Re: Foundation Nomination - Daniel Robbins
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:54:20
1 On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 03:00 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
2 > > On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 00:49 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
3 > >> I'd also like to nominate patrick who runs gentooexperimental.org,
4 > >> hosting amongst other things pkgcore (which cross-pollinates with
5 > >> portage) and notTheGWN:
6 > >> http://gentooexperimental.org/not-the-gwn/not-the-gwn-current.html
7 > >
8 > > Yes, we definitely need people that were "retired" from the project to
9 > > run our legal entity. *roll eyes*
10 > >
11 > Hmm ok, only he was in the eligible list and has contributed an awful lot to
12 > Gentoo, but not really as a technical developer over the last year or two.
13 > More as a business analyst imo, although he's stepped up to provide infra for
14 > some of the more innovative work that goes on.
15
16 He *is* eligible, but he was removed from the project. This really
17 needs to be taken into consideration.
18
19 > > Has anybody even taken the time to stop and think about someone's actual
20 > > *legal* capabilities before nominating them?
21 > >
22 > I have actually, as I would hope my other nominations would show. Have you
23 > ever stopped to consider that maybe you're not the best judge of qualities
24 > you haven't exactly displayed? Or have I missed something and you have a pool
25 > of qualified lawyers lined up wanting to take on this *legal* job?
26
27 How so? Do you have a clue what I have or have not done? Of course
28 not. Instead, you just feel the need to run your mouth like usual.
29 Please, continue with the ad hominum attacks. It really helps your
30 position.
31
32 > > Seriously, technical achievement means *nothing* here. This is purely a
33 > > staff/financial/legal position we're nominating for...
34 > >
35 > Yeah that takes more than just *legal* capability. It also takes managerial
36 > ability, as well as business expertise, both of which Patrick possesses. OFC
37 > these are not skills especially prevalent in the /technical/ developer pool
38 > as the record of your time as Trustee shows. It's the same type of skills
39 > that drobbins would bring, were he eligible to stand.
40
41 No, it really doesn't take any managerial capability. The trustees are
42 *not* managers. They do not tell anyone what to do, nor do they lead
43 the project in any way. The trustees are paper pushers. I'm sorry if
44 you don't realize that, but there's only so many times that it can be
45 said before it becomes obvious that you're either ignoring it, or too
46 dense to comprehend it. I'll let you decide which.
47
48 > I believe him to be the kind of person you want helping you manage the
49 > organisational side of things, which requires people who can empathise and
50 > motivate, not snipe and whinge at every opportunity. OFC, neither you nor
51 > anyone else has to vote for Patrick (assuming he'd even want to stand after
52 > being subject to the first personal attack in this process.)
53
54 Yes, because his organizational skills at organizing FOSDEM for Gentoo
55 was excellent. In fact, his skills were so good that several developers
56 got left in the cold for over an hour, waiting for transportation that
57 Patrick had promised and which never arrived. How about the demo
58 machines that Patrick lined up for the show? Oh, that's right, SeJo,
59 pvdabeel, and myself had to do that the day of the show because Patrick
60 didn't do anything.
61
62 Now, you can call it a personal attack if you wish. I hope that you
63 realize that I don't care what your opinion is on pretty much anything.
64 While I've been working to improve Gentoo, you sit on the sidelines and
65 tell everybody how poorly they're doing. Well, step up or shut up.
66 Personal attacks are when one says something that is an attack on a
67 person or their character. Stating pertinent *facts* about a nominee
68 seems to me to be something that would be *wanted* but I see that we're
69 going to have some armchair developers out there screaming that it's a
70 personal attack just because it puts the person in a bad light.
71
72 Sure, Patrick has contributed quite a bit via his gentooexperimental
73 project, but that doesn't change the *facts* of his time as a Gentoo
74 developer.
77 Chris Gianelloni
78 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
79 Games Developer