From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] CDs and t-shirts
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:24:38
1 > I talked with Daniel yesterday. Basically the reason for this
2 > whole license thing is that there must be some garantees
3 > against the NFP falling appart. We hope there won't be fights
4 > in the board either, but in case such things happen, Daniel
5 > would be able to take the trademark, the GPL'ed source and
6 > the developers and continue the distribution.
7
8 There is no "special arrangment" in the NFP plan to allow me to do this. I
9 think the most that would be possible is something like this: if the NFP
10 totally disintegrates and ceases to function, I would be able to set up a
11 Web site (using these trademarks on the site legally) and either allow a new
12 community to form around the code, or allow any existing Gentoo community
13 continued use of their tradename and logo.
14
15 My lawyer (looking out for my best interests) initially wanted me to hold on
16 to the trademarks and grant a license to the NFP. I negotiated him down to
17 what I presented to everyone, that the trademarks will be transferred to the
18 NFP and the NFP in turn will issue a license to me.
19
20 > After the NFP
21 > has lived for a while ( and has gone through several board
22 > changes ) this should not be necessary and the license could
23 > be given back.
24
25 If the NFP survives, it would still have ownership of the trademarks.
26 There's no way for me to take them from the NFP, so no need for the NFP to
27 take them back. The NFP could simply resume using them if (theoretically) it
28 shut down for a period of time but then resumed its mission.
29
30 The other reasoning for allowing me to use the marks is one of fairness. I
31 developed the "Gentoo" brand and committed myself to giving this brand
32 value. I personally designed the "G" logo (in blender; it was a lot of
33 work.) They could legitimately be sold to the NFP rather than just
34 transferred. This is what my lawyer suggested I do, because from his
35 perspective it is common sense. I again talked him down for just the ability
36 to continue to use them and thus keep running the Store as a separate entity
37 for as long as I choose.
38
39 Daniel
43 gentoo-nfp@g.o mailing list