From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 3.1 Place of Meetings
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:31:28
1 On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 14:17 -0600, RB wrote:
4 > I worry that, in the outside chance the
5 > bylaws are ever legally tested (since that seems their original reason
6 > to exist), the approach would be judged as naive optimism.
7
8 That's true, but having experience with the legal system. It's not so
9 cut and dry. The benefit must be worth the costs. It's pretty expensive
10 and time consuming to get any sort of a judgment. More so if it must
11 come from a judge, instead of a arbitrator, negotiation, etc.
12
13 Then even if you are lucky enough to get a legal judgment. If it's one
14 were you were awarded $ or etc. You get the joy of then having to
15 collect on that. Of which you have to give up a percentage, unless you
16 do it yourself. Much less the amount must be great enough for a
17 collector to take interest.
18
19 FYI, I have a legal issue/dispute right now with At&t wrt to
20 advertising. I have spoken with their lawyers. Who because of cost
21 versus benefit. Have removed themselves, and the matter is now back to
22 At&t to resolve. I might counter sue in small claims or etc. But till I
23 have a need, as in At&t tries to take some action, or places a lien, etc
24 against my business. It's pretty moot, and they can't do a thing, that
25 won't cost them more than they are already into things more. Very likely
26 just cut their losses :)
27
28 Also having being on the other side of things, I blew >$20k trying to
29 recover some of a $150k investment in a partnership. Despite others
30 advice, I didn't cut my losses. So instead of just $150k, that was $170k
31 +. Not to mention a judgment was awarded at one point. For ~$60k, and I
32 couldn't even find a collector willing for ~30%.
33
34 I still have judgment, and I have collect 0 on it :(
35
36 Now if all this was law suits over principles and there is no financial
37 judgment to be collected on. The reward must really be great, to justify
38 the expense. Which might not be $ but will surely be time. Legal stuff
39 moves slower than molasses in Antarctica.
42 William L. Thomson Jr.
43 amd64/Java/Trustees
44 Gentoo Foundation