From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] [RFC] Bylaws change: removing retired developers by default
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2018 01:01:55
1 On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 4:41 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 5:04 PM Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> My point is that someone who has contributed in the past should have a
5 >> presumption that they have the interests of the foundation and project
6 >> in mind.
7 >
8 > This assumes that the project never changes.
9 >
10 > Today everybody working on Gentoo wants to do A. Tomorrow everybody
11 > working on Gentoo wants to do B.
12 >
13 > The fact that somebody who no longer wants to work on Gentoo still
14 > wants it to do A is simply irrelevant.
15 >
16 > The alternative is infighting. The people who want Gentoo to do A
17 > have no ability to actually make that happen unless they actually do
18 > the work themselves. If they do, then they're no longer former
19 > contributors, but current ones. However, the people who want Gentoo
20 > to do A can try to block people from working on B instead. Then
21 > nothing gets done while everybody fights on lists and with voting.
22
23 The fighting has concerned me deeply, hence my recent "A call for
24 peace" message.
25
26 > The Foundation should absolutely serve those willing to do the work,
27 > and not the other way around.
28
29 This, I agree with, which is why I'm *not* saying that contribution
30 per se shouldn't be required.
31
32 Where we disagree, perhaps, is whether work done in the past should
33 count or not.
34
35 Bug 620010 for example called for my foundation membership to be
36 audited. Language used aside, I think that having my contributions
37 (even if they were in the past) verified was a good thing. The work
38 was done by me, even if it wasn't in ways that were obvious, and even
39 if it was done in the past.
40
41 >> I just see no reason to make retirees jump through unneeded hoops to
42 >> preserve their foundation membership.
43 >
44 > Neither do I, hence the wording of my proposal:
45 > 1. Immediately purge members at any time they are not an active dev,
46 > without choice.
47
48 I disagree with this.
49
50 > Nobody would need to jump through hoops because they simply would not
51 > be given the option to do so. The moment they retire, they lose their
52 > membership and voting rights. Only active developers would be allowed
53 > to be members.
54 >
55 >> Also, what if the prospective mentors are busy and they can't get
56 >> acquainted with anyone else?
57
58 > People make time for what they consider important. If not a single
59 > developer thinks that a potential contributor is worth their time to
60 > mentor (including all the Trustees), who is to say that every single
61 > one of them is wrong?
62
63 To be clear I was referring to the potential mentors being too busy to
64 be acquainted. Plus, importance is relative, and a person's finite
65 attention span is something subject to competition.
66
67 > Talk is cheap. Votes are cheap. Actions are not. It is the latter
68 > that should earn somebody the recognition to enable the former.
69
70 I agree that actions should count.
71
72 We might disagree on if they also need to be current.
73
74 Whatever we agree or disagree on though, I think that we would agree
75 that someone who acts *against* the foundation would rightly forfeit
76 their influence.
77
78 Examples might be baseless threats of a lawsuit against the
79 foundation, or deliberate and malicious infringement of gentoo
80 trademarks, or sabotage of infra's hardware, or malicious violations
81 of the Gentoo CoC.
82
83 > --
84 > Rich